Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Fat Free Phooey!

I have a recipe for the most amazing gingerbread ever made that I got from my ex-best friend, but it requires buttermilk. Now that wouldn't be a problem except every single grocery store and supermarket that I have been too lately is only selling 'Light' buttermilk. Yes, low-fat Buttermilk, which the recipe doesn't call for.

When did this become an issue? Who out there drinks buttermilk like every day? As far as I knew buttermilk was just used in pancakes or ranch dressing or in my case gingerbread. So what's up with the low-fat option? And if you are going to offer low fat buttermilk, don't stop selling the full fat stuff.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, buttermilk actually has less fat than regular milk anyway, so there is no need to make it low-fat!

I tried to make the recipe with the 'light' version but it just didn't taste the same.

Arghh!

2 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

Sorry to hear about the buttermilk issues, EKM--I've been making buttermilk biscuits this month with the low-fat version, and haven't noticed a difference, but higher fat content def makes a diff in certain recipes.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Yeah, fat free buttermilk in gingerbread just doesn't work somehow. I suppose I could get used to the taste, but it's no fun!