Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Guilty Pleasures: Pringles

Yes, I confess, I love Pringles. I know they are salty as all get out, and made from potato flakes but there is just something so irrestible about those cans, although after British comedian, Johnny Vegas told Graham Norton what he did with one during a show, I'm a little less enthused. Pringles were first introduced in 1968 by Proctor and Gamble but they didn't really take off until the 1970's.  They were named after a street in Cleveland, OH. Initially they were known as Pringle's Old-fashioned potato chips, but they were forced to call them potato crisps because of how they were made and the fact that they contain less than 50% potatoes. I'm not sure I really want to know what the rest of it is made of. I just realized that Pringles are probably made from those same instant mashed potatoe flakes!

In the UK, you can get interesting flavors like Prawn Cocktail, Thai, and Curry flavorings. And recently Pringles introduced limited edition flavors in the US of Onion Blossom, Mozzarella Sticks, and Pizza. I have to admit, I kinda want to try the Onion Blossom flavor. They've also come up with Multi-grain Pringles which are probably totally healthy, but not something that I really wanted to eat.

No comments: