Maybe it's because I'm due to travel to London on holiday in two weeks, but when I saw this on Yahoo News, I just had to share it.
Most ridiculous British laws:
1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (um, some of those guys are old. you can't tell me that hasn't happened before)
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down.
3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (WTF?)
4. Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day (I have no idea what that's about. Didn't the British come up with mince pies just for that purpose?)
5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter.
6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet. (I would totally love to try that!)
7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen.
8. It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing.
9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour. (Um, has any one really tried this since the Middle Ages?)
10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow. (what are the chances of that happening?)
I would love any comments from Brits in the blogosphere on this!