Monday, November 06, 2006

Here they are: RWA NYC Golden Apple Awards


Hey! I thought I post some pictures from our Golden Apple Awards reception that took place about two weeks ago in lieu of a full post. I'm a little tired today. Saturday was our chapter meeting and then I went out twice to celebrate my birthday. Once with friends from the chapter who bought me a lovely gold card case from the Met, and then again with one of my best friends. Yesterday, I worked until almost 1 a.m. writing two shows, Fall of the Empire: Rome on Tiberius Gracchus and Without a Trace.

This morning getting to work was nightmare. All the trains were backed up because someone was sick on a train at the 59th Street station. There were no cabs to be had and the buses were a nightmare. I finally managed to get an express train at 96th but I was still almost an 1 1/2 late this morning. Thanks mercury in retrograde.

That's me in the red dress looking a little hippy I might add. Not a good angle for me.

That's agent Ethan Ellenberg reading a statement from Bertrice Small, who was our author of the year. With me are Vice President's Darlene James (on the left) and Barbara Gale who helped give out the awards.









This lovely lady is editor Leslie Wainger from Harlequin Silhouette who was our Editor of the Year. I'm in the background looking at my notes to prepare for the next introduction. I started off with author, then agent, editor, and then finally publisher, to illustrate the trajectory of an author's career. You get the picture. I thought it was mildly cute.






And finally we have our Publisher Walter Zacharius who announced that at the tender age of 80 something, he's starting a film company with Roy Campanella (legendary Dodger short-stop or catcher, I'm not sure which but he's legendary!) to make low-budget African-American films. Gotta love it. He started Kensington in his fifties after years in the business and published his first novel 2 years ago when he was 80. We should all have his energy.


So that's it for today. I promise to be back tomorrow to talk about bookstores in London.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

Stop it! You look stunning!