Friday, November 10, 2006

When Pretty Girls Get Ugly

This is Vanessa Minillo from Entertainment Tonight/ET aka Nick Lachey's girlfriend dressed for her hard-hitting investigative report on whether or not people treat 'Ugly' girls differently than pretty girls.

Guess what? She discovered that they do! Quelle surprise. What a novel theory.

Can I just say how tired I am of seeing woman like Tyra Banks and Vanessa Minillo putting on a fat suit and a bad wig to try to experience life on the other side. The bottom line for these women is that at the end of the day, they get to take off the fat and put on a Gucci mini-dress, Jimmy Choos and go back to their fabulous lives as B and C list celebrities.

Oh, they cry and wring their hands about how cruel people are, and how they've been changed by the experience. But do we really believe that in a week or two they're even going to remember it?

Any girl who has ever been even slightly overweight knows what it's like to grow up feeling invisible, and to be picked on.

I certainly know what it's like to be the last one to be picked in every gym class for a team, and to be made fun of because I was chubby or because I developed early. I hope that because of that experience, it's made me more compassionate. I certainly don't need to put on a fat suit or make myself look ugly to learn that.

Most women know that if we put on make-up, or a pretty dress and smile, we get treated differently than if we don't. It's no big secret. Still it just burns my butt when women like Tyra and Vanessa think they're doing something noble by 'getting ugly.'

What do other people think?

Thanks for reading!

EKm

No comments: