Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Bachelorette Part Deux

I have a confession, I do love reality TV. I don't love it all, I could never get into Survivor, and one season of The Apprentice was enough for me. I never watched the Surreal Life until this season, and it took me awhile to get into Project Runway. I adore shows like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Trading Spaces, because at least something is being accomplished, and frankly who wouldn't want 5 great gay guys to make you over, or someone to come over and totally redo a room in your house. Heck, I would love it if someone would come over and redo my entire apartment. I've got the wardrobe pretty well-covered.

I used to love The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, but now with Ian and Meredith calling it quits and watching last nights show of The Bachelorett, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to retire these shows or make major changes to them. Last night it was painful to watch Wendell's family get drunk, and Ryan's family spend the entire evening talking about Thailand. Not once, did Ryan's family ask any questions about Jen, or Ryan or the whole process. They acted as if nothing was going on, and I'm sorry, asking someone to sign your bathroom wall is weird. It's one thing if it's in a bar, another thing to have it in your own home. The bathroom looked like it belonged in a dive, not a family home.

John Paul and his whole family with the two names bothered me. JP seemed to spend more time trying to impress Jen with all his toys. Didn't she just break up with a guy who was stinking rich who had servants fix and serve the meal when Jen came to meet his family. But there was JP, showing off his house, his car, his restaurant. Dude, dial it down a notch. We know that you are financially successful, you mention it everytime you're on the show. I'm surprised you didn't mention the name of the restaurant, like Aaron did when he was The Bachelor. Don't you want all those tourists who come to Oklahoma City to patronize your restaurant?

Wendell, ah Wendell. Dude, I really liked you until this episode when you came off as an overgrown frat boy. Four weeks, 1 alone date, and a visit to your parents and you don't kiss the girl? Despite how attracted you are? Meanwhile Ryan, Jerry and JP have all gotten a kiss (although the only ones she seemed to enjoy are Jerry's) and you never even tried. No wonder she didn't think there were any sparks.

Of course, in the real world, Wendell would have had more of a chance to impress Jen. No competing for her time and attention with 24 other men. An attraction could have grown over time, although his alcoholic family might have caused some problems. Unfortunately, I think that Wendell looked good on paper but in reality you can't force yourself to be attracted to someone that you're not.

Hopefully after this, she and Wendell can continue their friendship. Who knows if it doesn't work out with Jerry, perhaps she can hook up with Wendell or get back together with Andrew Firestone. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I could see Andrew being the one after all.

Now for a quick recap of Project Runway. Wendy Pepper has to go! I'm sorry Heidi Klum is a little teutonic for me. I keep expecting her to start goose-stepping which I know is a horrific stereotype, but there's something about a German accent that makes you want to get in line. My money is on Kara Saun. I think that her clothes are the most wearable out of anyone on the show, besides Austin who needs to think a little bit more out of the box and now from old Hollywood films.

No comments: