Monday, December 05, 2005

Author Interview: Anna DePalo

I'm thrilled that the first ever author interview is with my fellow RWA NYC chapter member Anna DePalo, author of the December Silhouette Desire, The Tycoon Takes Revenge. I've known Anna ever since I first joined the chapter, and I was excited when she received the call. Now she's the author of three well reviewed Silhouette Desires, and there are more to come. She's also a first time mom.

About Anna:

While still in her teens, Anna DePalo began her first novel. She wishes she could say that this early manuscript went on to receive numerous accolades and to bring her fame and fortune. Instead, that first attempt—well, all three pages of it—hit the trash heap, and she understood why many authors throughout history have burned their papers for posterity.

Anna went on to live in Italy and England, graduate from Harvard, earn an advanced degree in political science, practice intellectual property law, and marry the man of her dreams. She and her husband settled down in the middle of Manhattan, not far from her lifelong home in Brooklyn and her extended Italian-American family.

One day, Anna decided to give fiction writing another try, believing that having done some more living would help her tell the truth about life in the pages of made-up stories. This time she didn’t stop at three pages—or even ninety-three. Writing during weekends and evenings, after working long days as an attorney, she finally typed her first “The End.” That first finished manuscript, Having the Tycoon’s Baby, soon sold to Silhouette Books, became a best-seller and award-winner, and has been published in nine countries to date.

She's also the winner of the 2003 Romantic Times Reader's Choice Award for Best First Series Romance for Having the Tycoon's Baby.

These days, Anna has happily traded a lawyer’s navy-blue suits for a full-time writer’s blue jeans and is given to toasting new story beginnings while ensconced in front of her home-office computer.

Anna, thanks for agreeign to be the first ever author interveiw here at The Lady Novelist. I have to ask you, where do you get your ideas?

Anna: Anywhere and everywhere. I clip articles on topics that interest me. I also keep an “idea” file on my computer and add to it as thoughts occur. The germ of an idea may come when I’m watching television, seeing a movie, talking with friends or simply lying in bed at night.

You write for Silhouette Desire. What is it about the line that made you want to write for it?

Anna: I started reading Desires back in the 1980s, so I was familiar with the format. More importantly, I enjoyed reading them. It’s hard, if not possible, to write what you don’t read, as most writers will tell you!

How do you feel about the recent editorial changes to the line?

Anna: Actually, my writing is already generally in keeping with the new editorial guidelines for Desire, so I don’t think I’ll need to adjust too much. The books I’ve written so far have been fairly conflict driven, and the conflict is spelled out in the first chapter. However, I’ve tended toward doing roughly a 50/50 split on hero/heroine point of view, whereas now I’ll be concentrating more on the heroine.

I understand that you recently wrote a continuity book for Silhouette. What was it like?

Anna: It was a lot of fun! I liked the challenge of being given a framework and then of being asked to let loose with my imagination. The challenge for me was, how can I make this work? Also, the general story line was one I’d never have come up with myself, so the continuity book (CAUSE FOR SCANDAL, March 2006) forced me to stretch myself as a writer. I had to get into the head of my rock star hero and figure out what made him tick!

Now that you have several category titles under your belt, any desire to write single title?

Anna: One can always dream! Right now, though, I have my plate full writing for Silhouette Desire, which I love doing. I’m under contract for three more books. In January 2007, the last book about the Whittaker siblings (CAPTURING THE TYCOON’S HEART (tentative)) will be out. Matt Whittaker finds out whether a professional matchmaker will be the perfect match—for him! Then, in July 2007, I’ll have another book out that’s part of the upcoming Millionaire of the Month continuity series. I’m excited to be working with Elizabeth Bevarly, Maureen Child, Susan Crosby, Susan Mallery and Christie Ridgway. They’re all authors I admire, and it’s already been fun collaborating with them.

Out of all the books you’ve written, which characters are your favorites?

Anna: There’s something likeable for me in every hero and heroine I’ve written about, otherwise I’d never have had the drive to finish his or her story. That said, I have a particular fondness for Allison Whittaker (UNDER THE TYCOON”S PROTECTION, March 2005). Like me, she’s an attorney, and she has all the outspokenness and spunk I wish I possessed!

Which stories out of all that you’ve written are your favorites?

Anna: All of them! Seriously, though, it helps to love the story I’m currently writing, to think I’m improving and to believe my latest story is my best effort ever. Fortunately, I can say that with every story I’ve written so far.

You’ve lived in England, and Italy, and you speak fluent Italian, any chance that we’ll see books set in Italy from you?

Anna: You know, I haven’t really given it much thought, but since I’m a big believer in writing what you know (at least until you run out of the familiar), I guess it’s possible. No plans at the moment, though.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Anna: Like most writers, I’m also a big reader. I also enjoy traveling to new places and sampling new restaurants.

You’re a new Mom. What is your schedule like now for writing? And how will that impact your next books?

Anna: Things are in a state of flux because the baby is still, well, a baby, but I’m inspired by the writers I know who also have kids, and I’m lucky to live near family who are able and willing to help out.

Who are your favorite authors?

Anna: There are so many! Just within the romance genre, the authors whose books I enjoy reading span the field from Regency historicals and contemporary romantic comedies to category and chick lit. However, I’d put Jane Austen at or near the top of any list.

Thank's Anna for taking the time out your busy schedule to answer a few questions.

The Tycoon Takes Revenge will be out in December from Silhouette Desire. It received 4 1/2 stars from Romantic Times magazine.

Here's a little taste: Clearly gossip columnist Kayla Jones, a.k.a. Ms. Rumor-Has-It, can’t stand Noah Whittaker’s type: old money, charming and rarely without a beauty on his arm. The only thing he’s good for is juicy fodder for her column. But I heard he’s about to get even! He’ll give her the biggest scoop of the season, which could promote her to big-time reporter, if she’ll dig a little deeper and get to know the real him. But can she keep her emotional distance from a man famous for being a master of seduction?

No comments: