Sunday, December 03, 2006

Favorite Holiday Movie: Love Actually


I've been a very bad blogger the past week, but really I didn't have anything to say. I've been working, seeing theater, and trying to get over this malaise that I feel. It's like I have the never ending flu.
But yesterday, I went to our chapters holiday party at a restaurant in the village called Jane. After it was over, I stopped off at Circuit City and picked up a copy of Love Actually (it was on sale), my all time favorite holiday movie. I could watch this movie like every day and not just because Colin Firth is in it.
No, I adore this movie because it's all about love, finding love, losing love, taking love for granted, forbidden love, and unrequited love. Love in all shapes and forms. Plus it's set around Christmas, my favorite holiday besides my birthday (which should really be a National holiday).
I can't list all my favorite scenes and characters, I love them all from Bill Nighy as the seedy rock star, Billy Mack to even Laura Linney, who I normally can't stand, as Sarah who's brother's needs keep her from finding love. But my favorite story-lines have to be Daniel and his step-son Sam. They've just buried Sam's mother, and Daniel finds out that Sam is in love with a young girl named Joanna. He encourages Sam to pursue Joanna by showing him clips from Titanic. Sam takes up the drums so that he can play in the Christmas show to be near Joanna. It all comes to a head when Sam and Daniel head to the airport so that Sam can declare his love before Joanna leaves for the States for the holidays.
My other favorite storyline is the two stand-ins, who fall each other while having to pretend to simulate sex on a movie set so that the stars don't have to stand around waiting for the lights to be set up. It's just so cute to see these two discussing mundane topics while pretending to hump.
And of course Colin Firth who plays Jamie. Jamie catches his wife in bed with his brother, and heads off to Marseille, where he ends up falling for the Portuguese housekeeper.
Love, love, love this film. In fact I may watch it again tomorrow night.
Thanks for reading,
EKM


1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

Hugh Grant as the PM! LOVE that bit! Will have to watch it again - just bought the soundtrack for my stepmom. It's her favorite movie.