Friday, April 06, 2007

TGIF

Thank god it's Friday, is all I have to say. Even though I'm here at work (until 11:30 because my boss is a dunderhead), at least I get to go home soon, and I have Saturday and Sunday off. Whoo-hoo.

Been doing lots of thinking about the YA that I need to revise. I need to do more with the columns that my two characters are writing for the newspaper, perhaps have them debate or something on local TV. Something to move the plot along. And more high school stuff. Like bowling! I also need to crunch the first three chapters into two but still get in all the information that I need to.

Was on Amazon.com yesterday and there are some groovy new YA books coming out soon, including the third book by Libba Bray, a fourth Jessica Darling book by Megan Mccafferty, a new E. Lockhart, the second Secret Society Girl book (which I may try and scarf at BEA), and two more Meg Cabot books, one of which is a Manga! Not to mention that I discovered a new YA author on line, who's books I need to try out.

Went to the theater last night, and saw an interesting new play by Bernard Weintraub, who used to write for the NYT called Accomplices about how the US basically did nothing while Jews were being slaughtered by the Nazi's. It had a documentary feel to it and it raised some interesting questions. There's a forum going on at Fordham in June dealing with the subject that I might go to. I also ran into a guy I went to college with, so that I was interesting, and I went with a new friend, so it was all good.

I'm totally into this show on the Sundance Channel called 'Ladette to Lady' which is where 10 girls who are totally girls gone wild, or tomboys with no social skills are sent to finishing school to learn to become ladies. This is not some exploitation show like the one on VH-1 where Monique tries to turn the heifers from Flava of Love into ladies. These girls seriously want to learn to better themselves, and since England still has a bit of a class system, it's really interesting to watch them struggle to try and change. For them, it's a chance at a better job, although it's going to be hard when they go back home to keep from slipping back into their old ways.

Hope everyone has a good weekend with great weather!

EKM

No comments: