Monday, November 17, 2008

The End of the Road

Today, I wrote my last President's letter for our chapter newsletter Keynotes. And I'm a little sad. It's been a long four years, and not always pleasant. I've had a Vice President drop out before taking office, another board member quit in a snit, who left a stink bomb on our chapter loop instead of just leaving quietly, but I've also enjoyed the chance to be a leader.

I never expected to be chapter President. It was just something that happened along the way. One minute I was sitting in the back of a meeting, the next I was a Vice Presient of the chapter and before you know it, bingo, President! I hope I rose to occasion, and I hope that I was a good president, that I left the chapter in better shape then it was when I took office. Four years is a long time to be President. So I can imagine just how hard it has to be to govern a country for four years, let alone eight.

As much as I can't stand George Bush, he's had a rough 8 years in office man. I can't help but think that Al Gore must think he dodged a bullet when the election was stolen from him. He can sit on his front porch in Tennessee with his Nobel Peace Prize, and his Academy Award (I don't know if he actually got to have one for An Inconvenient Truth) and look back on these eight years laughing his ass off.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful for our new President Elect Obama (I just entered into a lottery for inauguration tickets on Chuck Schumer's web-site) and our new President Elect for RWA NYC Karen Cino. I wish them all the luck in the world and a great four years/1 year as President.

No comments: