Friday, February 17, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

It's Friday, and it's a holiday weekend, which meant an early closing at work. Not as early as I would have liked, since I left at 3:00 p.m. just minutes after my boss, but I'll take it. I managed to go home, and take a quick nap before heading out to my night job. I made the huge mistake of scheduling myself for work six nights in a row. Ouch! What was I thinking?

Well, I was supposed to go to Venice for Carnevale, but ended up not going because of work, so I had already asked for some time off. When I put in my schedule, I didn't know that I could override it so that I didn't have to sign up for three days of work. Go figure. Now I know!

I'm so excited. I managed to scrounge up a copy of the first season DVD of Grey's Anatomy. Psych! So you know what I'll be doing this weekend, in between working. I had planned on getting it from Netflix, but I was just too impatient, so I bought it. I'm saving the receipt, so that I can write it off on my taxes. You know, claim that it's research for a medical romance that I'm writing.

I made another decision. I've decided to use my middle name for my YA books when/if they are published. I decided this for two reasons, 1) to honor my mother who named me after a character in a detective novel she was reading (is it any wonder I'm a writer?) and 2) Kerri seemed like a young adult novel name. So hopefully you'll be seeing the name Kerri Mahon on the Teen Book shelves in the future.

I've also decided to take a permanent job at the company that I've been working for since September. This is a big step for me. For one thing, I only get two weeks vacation which is criminal. The Europeans have the right idea, most of them get at least 7 weeks a year. But after careful thought, I'm not getting any younger, it's health insurance, and after being unemployed last year for two months, it's nice to have the steady income, two steady incomes at the moment.

I can't help feeling I'm saying good-bye to my freedom, but until I get that six figure book contract or that movie deal, or get married, I have to think about my future.

Yikes, I feel like such a grown-up!

2 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

Congratulations on the job! And I agree about Kerri as a YA name. Have a great weekend!

Gabrielle said...

No, you're not saying goodbye, you're saying "I'm looking after myself until I get that contract." Congrats! (And yes, I agree--2 weeks' vacation IS criminal!)