Monday, February 27, 2006

Relaxed and Refreshed

Hi all,

I hope everyone had a great weekend, I know that I did.

To get over the trauma of Thursday night, not to mention the fact that I stupidly scheduled myself to work six nights in a row, I took myself off for a mini-break down to our Nation's capital.

There's nothing like going to museums, eating good food and just relaxing to help get over a disappointment.

One of the good things about living in New York is that cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, and Boston are just a few hours away by good ole Amtrak, for those who don't particularly care to fly. I don't mind flying but Amtrak is such a convenience. Just hop on the 1 train to Penn station, and there you are! Sure it's pricey, but while I'm on the train, I can envision what it was like during the golden age of train travel. When people had private pullman cars (which contrary to GH, you can't just hook up to any ole train) when they traveled.

3 hours and 25 minutes later, I was in DC at Union Station, which has to be one of the nicest statons in the country. Really, Penn station could take notes. But then again, Penn station is like the bastard step-child compared to Grand Central. Why? Because they tore down the old Penn Station that was really nice, to put up the unfriendly, yucky station that we have today.

I took the Metro to my hotel (Day passes cost $6.50 compared to NY). I love the DC Metro, the stations look like space pods, but it gets you where you need to go in minutes. I literally got off the train at 12:45 and got to my hotel by 1:00 p.m.

I stayed at the Hotel Lombardy which is downtown near GWU. Right next door is the Arts Club of Washington, house in a house that James Monroe, our 5th President, once lived. The hotel was okay, a little shabby despite the fact that it was supposed to be newly renovated. Only one elevator worked, and it was manually operated which meant it took forever.

The room itself was clean, with a little kitchen area with a microwave and two chairs and a table which was pretty cute. I dropped off my bags and headed out. The sun was shining although it was windy. I picked up a ticket to see Don Juan at the Shakespeare Theatre Company in downtown, and then headed over to the National Museum of Women in the Arts.

The museum is a very good idea, showcasing the history of women artists over the centuries, but the collection is very small, and they're missing several important artists including Artemisia Gentileschi. I think part of the problem is that most of the well-known artists are already in museum collections. What the museum should be focusing on are unknown artists. The Dahesh museum had a really good exhibit on Women Impressionist painters a few years ago, and I think this museum could benefit from a good curator.

I worked out, relaxed, had dinner at the bar at Old Ebbits Grill, and then saw the show which was fabulous. It made me nostalgic for acting, particularly since they were doing Don Juan. I've always loved Moliere and I was lucky enough to do two of his plays during my career. I'd auditioned for the Shakespeare Theatre numerous times, so it was nice to actually see their work.

Sunday, I went to my favorite place in DC for breakfast. Teasim is a lovely little restaurant that serves organic food and tea. They make the best ginger scones. I actually have to thank Rachael Ray for letting me know about this place. I had the cilantro scrambled eggs with tea smoked salmon. Yummo as Rachael likes to say. They give you a gigantic mug of Chai tea for less than what you'd pay at Starbucks.

I didn't meet any cute guys, but I wasn't looking for them either, although if anyone knows where the guys who work for the British embassy hang out, let me know!

I was having such a good time that I almost missed my train. I had just enough time to get from my hotel to Union Station with ten minutes to spare.

Oh, and yes, I did pick up two books in DC, both YA since I'd finished the Eloisa James that I was reading, and the A.N. Homes book on Los Angles.

I can't go anywhere without checking out the bookstores!

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Sounds like a great weekend, and I LOVE the look of Teaism, especially their white teas. White teas...mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Pop Culture Casualty said...

Hey there... I recently moved to NYC from DC and found you on my neighborhood blog guide. My firm is sending me back to DC and I'm scared... scared to leave NY. But this post reminds me of DC's many charms. I needed this. Thanks!