Friday, February 03, 2006

Reality Round-Up

It's Friday, so it's time for another edition of Reality Round-up where I discuss the wonderful hours of reality TV that I watched this week. Actually, I only watched 3 Reality shows this week, and only part of two of them. The below picture is of the winner of this week's Project Runway. I only saw the last twenty minutes, but I gather that the challenge was to make a dress out of natural materials, to simulate a garden party as a dress. Daniel, who has won four challenges so far, and is now guaranteed a spot in the final four, won this week's challenge, I think primarily because he actually managed to use some flowers in his dress.

I don't think the judges quite realized (amazing considering Michael Kors is a designer) that working with real flowers was a challenge. First of all, the contestants only had $100 to work with which doesn't buy you much, even if you buy wholesale in the flower district. Second, flowers die quickly particularly since this show was shot in the summer when it was like 99 degrees outside. They risked making dresses with a bunch of dead flowers. So the majority of the designers stuck with hardier materials like leaves, moss, peat etc.


Our next show up is Dancing with the Stars, which I have to admit is one of my favorite shows, although this group of celebrities are so much more competitive than the last group. They all want to win, win, win, the giant discoball trophy. The only person who is been having fun every week, is the one person who is never going to win this competition, and that's George Hamilton. He's just there to have fun. I'm sure he's amazed that anyone remembered that he was still alive to do this competition. He makes the judges laugh and I'm sure he'll be around for another week.


I'm very glad that P. Miller (aka Master P.) was finally booted off. It was criminal that Giselle Fernandez, a really good dancer, was booted off before a guy who clearly didn't want to be there, and wasn't willing to put in the time and effort to even be half-way decent, particularly when everyone was working their butts off every week. Even George Hamilton spent more time rehearsing than Master P.

The surprises this season, besides how many of the celebrities are good, are Stacey the professional wrestler and Drew Lachey, Nick's little brother. First of all, I've totally rethought my feelings about professional wrestlers. This woman could be dancing on Broadway, and she has legs that are longer than two of my arms. Her samba last night was phenomenal, and she totally deserved her perfect scores (more so than Kelly Monaco from last season).

And Drew Lachey? Well, people are now going to know his name apart from just being his more famous brother's little bro. Every week, he just brings it, despite how tired he must be. He's a true performer, just like Joey McIntyre last season. It just goes to show that boy band members have hidden talents.

Lisa Rinna? It's amazing how much her partner Louis Amstel (who must be so happy this season that he has a good partner, unlike the dud Trista Sutter he had last time) looks like a gay version of her husband. For someone who keeps reminding us she's a 42 year old mother of two, she certainly brings it every week. Unlike Tia Carrere, who seems to have lost steam these past two weeks.

My final show is The Bachelor. Why do I watch this show? Well, I could win a trip to Paris if I accurately predict who he chooses for the final rose, which is pretty much the only reason I'm watching. Oh, and they go to Venice on one of the fantasy dates. And they're living in a gorgeous house in the French countryside. The women? The same cookie-cutter women they have every season. The guy? Travis has shown as much personality as road kill and he's acting like a perfect gentleman. I think he's kissed like two of the women so far, and no heavy duty make-out sessions. A far cry from the days when Jesse Palmer made out with three women on one date.

He maybe a gentleman but it makes for boring TV when you also have no personality. I predict he'll end up with sweet, seemingly virginal Sarah from Nashville.

And hopefully I'll be wending my way to Paris.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Great recap. Good luck winning the trip (pick Susan to win)!