Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Abby's Pop Meme

Oh my gawd, I cannot believe that Ivana Trump is getting married for the fourth time, and I'm having problems getting a date! What is wrong with this picture? Seriously, I'm sure that she's a very nice person, but she still did a reality TV show called "Ivana man." And the guy that she's marrying is 35! That's the same age as fun guy. This news made me so depressed that I almost emailed fun guy to see if he wanted to go for round 3 of our dysfunctional dating game. Fortunately, I went out and bought a apple multigrain donut from Starbucks and ate it and then I lay down until the feeling passed.




So on to Abby's Pop Meme. I've been tagged by Megan so here are the rules:



1. Go to this link at Pop Culture Madness (scroll down - see the list of years on the left?)

2. Pick the year you turned 18

3. Pick five songs from that year

4. Wax nostalgic about each song and why it’s special

5. Pass it on to 5 more friends




"Don't You Want Me" by Human League - I first heard this over the summer while I was in London and I bought the 45 while I was there (remember 45's?). I thought I was so sophisticated playing my new music from England, and I felt justified when it was a huge hit here in the States. Plus who can't relate to the song?



"Tainted Love" - Soft Cell - I love, love this song. In fact, I have it on my iPod. I used to play this all the time because it reminded me of my ex-boyfriend. I also remember dancing to it at the danceathon that we had at school to raise money for Vietnam Vets. We danced for 5 hours in the cafeteria. The rules were you had to dance even on your way to the bathroom. Once inside of course you could stop dancing, but once you were done, you had to start dancing again. This song was great, because you didn't have to move to much to it.



"We Got the Beat" - Still my favorite Go-Go's song. How can you not dance to this song? Another song that I have on my iPod. I loved the fact that they were an all girl band that played their own instruments, instead of just the chick who fronted the band. A guy I went to high school with thought their song "Our Lips are sealed" was really "I love Cecile."



"Rock this Town" - Stray Cats - Remember them? Before Brian Setzer became a new wave Big Band singer? I had no idea what rockabilly was when this song came out, I just knew that I could do the jive to it like my parents. Although I thought all 3 of them were too skinny and skanky to be believed.



"Maneater" - I used to have a crush on Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates (come on, the guy had great hair, like a golden retriever.) And I always wanted to be considered a woman that was a maneater. I have no idea why but being a femme fatale appealed to me (see Monday's post).





Okay, I am now tagging, Mary, Kelly, Gabrielle, Patt, and Carolyn.



Thanks for reading,



EKM

1 comment:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Oh this is different! Thanks for the tag!