Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What will they think of next?

So I have a subscription to British Heritage magazine, and I'm flipping through the pages, when what do I see? An article on Dickens World! Yes, this past May, an "innovative and exciting 62MM pound indoor visitor complex" was opened in Kent, England, themed around the life, work and times of Charles Dickens.

I haven't been there so I have no idea what it's like, but the website www.dickensworld.com has video where you can see the place being built. Apparently, it features Europe's largest themed boat ride which transports visitors from the depths of London's sewers through the atmospheric streets, courtyeards, marekts and shops, to a magical flight across the roof tops of London. There's also a haunted house, where the ghosts from The Christmas Carol will haunt, and children can playi in Fagin's Den.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Dickens theme park. It seems somehow cheesy and tacky. But again I haven't seen it. It could turn out to be something like Colonial Williamsburg or more along the lines of England land, and France land at Epcot.

Would anyone visit say Fenimore Cooper World? or Louisa May Alcott World?

EKm

1 comment:

Evangeline Holland said...

I'd love an Edith Wharton World--recreate Old New York in all its glory.