Saturday, September 13, 2008

Let's Talk About Sex Baby!

Today I'm going to the first in a series of roundtables on sexuality at The Philoctetes Center. This one is called 'Mating in Captivity: Sexuality and Monogamy.' I'm not quite sure how I feel about that title, it makes it sound like two Giant Pandas trying to get it on in a zoo to have babies.

The description on the web-site says that 'This roundtable will address the ways in which monogamous partnerships affect sexual desire, sexual function, and sexual need.'

Sounds interesting n'est pas? Normally when I go to the roundtables, I get intimidated by the talking heads and question whether or not I'm smart enough to be even in the room. But sex and sexuality I think I know something about. After all I have had sex (is that TMI?) on occasion, and all my relationships have been monogamous.

Plus I took Sol Gordon's Human Sexuality class in college, one of the most popular courses at Syracuse. Not to mention that I both read and write romances. We've often heard how women who read romances have better sex lives (I'm pretty sure this is true). And the point of the romance is the relationship between the man and the woman. Entering into a long term committed relationship leading to marriage (hopefully).

I might even manage to ask a question, something I normally don't do because of the intimidation factor.

I'll let you all know how it goes and whether or not I learn anything knew!

No comments: