Sunday, May 22, 2005

Confessions of a shoe whore

Yes, you heard me right. I am a whore for shoes. Not an actual whore. I don't make money on my back for shoes, but I am absolutely obssessed with shoes. I love them. To me, a shoe makes an outfit, more than a purse or the right jewelry. More than designer clothing, I adore shoes. If I'm looking through a magazine at a celebrity or a model in a fashion spread, you can bet the first thing that I do, is check out her shoes. It doesn't matter to me, if say for example Renee Zellweger is wearing a slamming dress, if I hate her shoes. Fortunately, she's always had good taste in shoes, as does Halle Berry.

High heels are my passion, stilettoes, strappy sandals, boots. You'll never see me in a pair of Birkenstocks, unless I've been brainwashed by aliens. Sensibly, I draw the line at anything over 4 inches, I don't want to be crippled. I believe that you can never have too many pairs of black shoes, but I've learned over the years to love gold, silver, red, and navy blue shoes as well.

I don't just cover any shoes, I covet designer shoes, and not just the usual suspects, Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik, the princes of high-end shoes, I talking about Christian Louboutin, Sigerson Morrison, Hollywoud, Kate Spade, Calvin Klein, Guisepppe Zanotti, Gina, and Chanel. I probably know the names of more shoe designers than I do Presidents of the United States. When you think about it, which is more important in the long run?

I love shoes so much, I've been known to ask complete strangers on the street, where they bought their shoes! My favorite issues of Lucky magazine, are the ones where they list the best shoes for the season. I've often wished that I had sample size feet (size 5 or 6) so that I could shoe model. I know theiminute that I win the lottery, I'm on a bus out to Woodbury Common or Jersey Gardens to the outset stores to buy shoes.

In the meantime, I settle for Nine-West, the occasional Via Spiga shoes on sale, Aerosoles, and other knock-offs of the shoes that I crave. I had planned on buying a pair of Jimmy Choos or Blahniks for my 40th 1/2 price, but I went to London instead (that's another obsession). The first thing that I plan on buying after I get my first advance, are a pair of shoes to treat myself. After all, I deserve it, after 6 years of writing. One of my goals is not retirement, it's being able to go to the Christian Louboutin sample sale, and actually being able to buy shoes.

I work my whole wardrobe around my shoes. Seriously. For example, last summer, I bought a pair of pale pink trimmed with red, high-heeled open toe sling-backs on sale at Banana Republic. I had nothing in my closet to match these shoes, but I had to have them, consequently, I had to go and buy clothes to match my shoes.

I take extraordinary care of my shoes, more than I do my own clothes. I have boots that I've resoled 5 or 6 times, because I love them so. I keep my shoes in their boxes, snuggled in safety, until I decide to wear them. I keep pictures taped to the outside of the box, so I know what's in them.

Of course, I have my favorite places to buy shoes, Anbar, Loehmann's and Century 21 top the list. Century 21 now has a whole seperate section of the store just for shoes! And now DSW has come to town. God save me! I went there yesterday, because I have these $10 off coupons that have to be used by June 14th. Sigh! It was like I had died and gone to shoe heaven. I roamed the aisles practically salivating at the Prada and Kate Spade shoes that were just out of my reach.

And then I saw them, hot pink strappy Charles David sandals, on sale for $79.00 marked down from $150. Not only that but they were an additional 20% off, plus my $10.00, for a grand total of $58.00 with tax. Now, I hesitated before buying them, not because I don't have anything in my closet because I do, but I knew that I was heading down a dangerous road.

I tried them on , they were like butter. I walked around in them, trying to decide. They talked to me, convinced me that they belonged with me, I listened, and now they reside on top of my closet in their little box, just waiting for their debut. The store clerk also convinced me to sign up for a rewards card. Yikes! I'm in so much trouble!

So now my summer wardrobe will be filled with hot pink, orange, lime green, and purple, all to compliment my new summer sandals.

I'm off to get a pedicure to compliment my new shoes.

No comments: