Thursday, May 26, 2005

Dr. Tom Cruise




Did I miss something? Did Tom Cruise earn a medical degree in between making movies and romancing Katie Holmes? He must have because that's the only explanation I can come up with for his recent remarks about Brooke Shields.

According to reports, Tom makes the astonishing statement in an Access Hollywood interview that Brooke Shields just needed to take some vitamins for her post-partum depression! Really, that's amazing! And he didn't even need to examine her to make that diagnosis. Apparently, the fact that Brooke resorted to Paxil after months of struggle, and resistance to therapy, makes her a drug addict and seriously misguided.

He than made his pronouncement that depression is chemically based, and that vitamins can make a difference. Really Tom? So Susan Smith, and that woman in Texas who killed all her kids, just needed an extra dose of Vitamin C or A in their diet? Come on! You've just done a disservice to the women out there, who suffer silently with post-partum depression. Instead of seeking the help that they might need, they'll continue to suffer, but now with a mega-dose of One-A-Day.

I've had friends who suffer from depression, and Paxil, Prozac, and lithium saved their lives.

Mr. Cruise then went on to bash Brooke's career. Apparently starring on Broadway and The West End is not enough for Mr. Cruise. Tom, if you think Brooke is so talented, why don't you offer her a role in Mission Impossible III, or does the fact that she took Paxil automatically disqualify her from ever acting with you?

I've never been a huge Tom Cruise fan. I think he's an okay actor with the right material, and an even better movie star. I liked him even less after he left Nicole Kidman shell-shocked by the end of their marriage. And he's wearing even thinner now.

Tom, do us all a favor, stick to what you do best, which is being a movie star. I know you're a devout Scientologist, but that doesn't mean that therapy is all bad. Truthfully, if I didn't know better, I would think Tom was on something. That's the only way I can explain his behavior on Oprah on Monday, dragging poor Katie Holmes out on stage, like a prize cow at the state fair to show her off to the audience.

He didn't seem to care that Katie might be incredibly uncomfortable with the PDA, as long as he's happy. I'm surprised that he didn't show off her teeth to Oprah and the audience. We get that your happy. Just dial it down a notch, would ya.

Is anyone else as uncomfortable as I am with the whole Tom Cruise/Katies Holmes romance?

11 comments:

Diana Peterfreund said...

Yes. It's so creepy. She's exactly my age. Add him to the list of aging stars trying to pretend they are young by latching onto successively younger starlets.

I thought I couldn't lose any more respect for Harrison Ford, but I almost just compared him to Tom, so I guess that means I have.

Anonymous said...

The whole thing makes me want to walk around with a perpetually arched eyebrow.

But, Diana, what did Harrison Ford do besides become unpleasantly flabby? Is there something I don't know?

;) Liz

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Liz, I think it's the whole Calista Flockhart thing. That did it for me. How could he prefer that skinny chick who's my age instead of me!

Karyn Lyndon said...

I thought Tom was gay?!?

Anyway, Elizabeth, I posted something for you over at my blog...

Anonymous said...

Some people think it's for publicity purposes. I don't know what to think about it but my mother isn't buying it :)

Gena Showalter said...

I totally agree! So, so wrong. What do you think of Ashton K. and Demi M? I want AK all to myself, so I'm biased :)

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Ashton just doesn't do it for me Gena. He's cute but he just looks a little on the young side. I'd feel a little too Mary Kay Letourneau if I were with him. But good for him and Demi. Together for 2 years. I guess all that Kabbalah paid off.

Anonymous said...

Tom's always hitching himself to up-and-coming starlets who seem to be going along for the publicity ride of being his gal to boost their career. It worked for Nicole, Penelope tried it and now, here's Katie, fresh for her Batman Begins premiere, all set to be the new thang. It certainly doesn't do anything to squarsh the Tom' Gay rumors...which are, lets face it, gaining more and more credence daily.

And yeah, Liz...Harrison and stick-figure Calista...ewwwww...

Marley = )

Gabrielle said...

I have no problem with the age thing. It's the control thing that gets me. And isn't it good to know that Tom slipped into Brooke's skin and lived her life, so he now knows exactly how she feels and what she needs? Psha!

Wonder if Katie's allowed to wear high heels?

Anonymous said...

Coming out of lurk here because I thought I was the only one who thought the Cruise/Holmes thing was icky. NOT because of the age difference but because in all the pics poor Katie looks like a deer caught in the headlights!

Kristen Painter said...

Did anyone else read the article about TC auditioning starlets to be his girlfriend? Apparently, Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Alba didn't make the cut but were on the list.