Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Letter to the Hiltons

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Hilton,

I had the pleasure of staying at your Times Square hotel last night gratis courtesy of Time Out magazine. This was the first time that I have stayed at one of your properties and I must say that while I had a nice stay, I was not that impressed overall with the hotel.

First of all the location is not the best. It would have been better if you could have situated the hotel like the Westin on 43rd Street. Right now, the hotel seems like it's squeezed like a tube of toothpaste between several tall buildings. The downstairs area is just a deserted walkway, you could definitely do something to spruce it up. Perhaps lifesize photos of your two daughters Paris and Nikki? Or a hotel boutique selling Nikki's fashions to the hotel guests! Right now it's just blah.

Second the lobby space upstairs is not well designed. When I got there to check in, there were only two people working the front desk. Having both the bar, and the restaurant occupying the same tiny space as the lobby is not a good use of the space. It would have been better if you had moved the bar and restaurant to the top floor with wrap-around windows. I know Applebees downstairs is serious competition for your guests money, but you could have put a little more thought and effort into your hotel restaurant for the prices that you charge!

My room however was very nice, spacious, nice furniture. The bed was very comfortable, and it was nice to have free airconditioning for a change. However, there were scuff marks in the bathtub, and I'm not sure it was a good idea to have a sliding door for the bathroom. And the products, seriously couldn't you spring for Aveda?

Also, who are you kidding by charging $75.00 for the hotel bathrobe? Really, the Times Square Hilton isn't exactly the Beverly Hills Hotel or the crown jewel in the Hilton Empire, the Waldorf-Astoria.

The fitness center on the 23rd floor could also be just a tad larger, for all your health conscious guests who probably use it during their stay.

Now I know that you are busy with your TV show and helping Paris plan her wedding to Paris, but I expected more of the graciousness Kathy, that you school the contestants on. My

I did love the free USA Today, and the TV guide as well as the copy of Conrad Hilton's autobiography tucked in the drawer, just in case I suffered from Insomnia.

RWA is having their conference this year at the Reno Hilton, and I'm sorry that I'm going to miss a chance to check out another Hilton property, particularly one that has a Chevy's and a Johnny Rocket.

I think that the Times Square Hilton should reflect the funkiness of the location. Perhaps have some of the local designers Cynthia Rowley and Isaac Mizrahi re-do the rooms.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth K. Mahon

No comments: