Monday, August 15, 2005

Murphy's Law

You know, Murphy's Law, whatever can go wrong will go wrong? Well, that's the story of my life.

Take yesterday for example. After a week of New York being like the 9th rung of Hell, the heavens opened up and it poured. Guess who didn't have an umbrella? Yep, that's right me. I arrived home after a pleasant afternoon spent at the Brooklyn Historical Society to discover that it was pouring down rain, not just cats and dogs but I swear I saw Noah building the ark.

So what does a diva do? Well she hightails into to Rite-Aid and spents $10 on a new umbrella of course! I know it was extravagant considering I'm unemployed but it sure beat standing in a smelly train station for 40 minutes waiting for the rain to cease and desist.

Oh, by the way, when did the apple pies at McDonalds start sucking? I used to remember that they were great. Maybe I'm just remembering the way they were 20 years ago which was the last time I ate one.

Received yet another rejection letter. Boo-Hoo! I'm still optimistic though. 5 more agents still haven't responded back yet.

Read what was supposed to be a romance this weekend, but clearly wasn't. How did I know? Well despite the romance cover you could tell because:

a) the author name dropped more brands than the Neiman-Marcus catalog.
b) the hero was so peripheral to the action, you could have cut him completely and the book wouldn't have suffered. He only existed to flatter the heroine and to give her a mind-blowing orgasm.

Despite this I enjoyed the book. The author managed to make the self-absorbed heroine surprisingly likeable, but it still wasn't a romance.

Why do I bring this up? Well, it's like going to McDonalds and ordering a Big Mac and getting home to find that you got a Veggie burger instead. You may like the Veggie burger, you may even order it the next time your at Mickey D's but it's not what you ordered.

If I buy a romance novel, that's what i expect to get when I open the book!

No comments: