Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Things I just don't understand

Yesterday, I had a job interview downtown for a major investment bank for a long-term temp assignment working for a group of research analysts. I don't really know downtown very well, so I asked the counsellor to give me either the cross streets or an exact address for where I was going apart from just telling me 'New York Plaza'. Do you know what she told me? She told me to look it up on Mapquest! Now, since she's the one giving me the information about the job, don't you think it would be a good idea for her to give me the correct information, not make me look it up myself? When I told her that I didn't have Mapquest, not having easy access to the Internet, she told me that it was somewhere near the Staten Island ferry! Yeah, that helped alot.


That's not the only thing I don't understand. Here are a few things I just don't get.

1) Why do men feel the need to spread the legs wide when they're sitting on the train? Are they advertising? Well whatever they're advertising, I'm not buying. Train seats are small enough as it is, without having to share space with someone else's legs as well. How hard could it be to just close your legs a bit, so that people can sit down.

2) socks or pantyhose with sandals. This I just don't get, particularly socks. It's just not a good look, and if your office makes you wear pantyhose in the summer, don't wear sandals, it just doesn't look right. And doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of wearing sandals?

3) Now that Heidi Klum is married to Seal, does she stop having a last name? Is she just Heidi now?

4) Diddy, formerly known as Puff Daddy, and P.Diddy. Was it absolutely necessary to make the MTV video awards all about you? Giving away a watch, giving $100,000 to charity to the best-dressed male and female, dragging poor MC Hammer out of retirement, and another long-drawn out tribute to Biggie, just to show off your mediocre dance skills?

5) Does Pam Anderson ever wear clothes?

6) Jessica Alba in Honey. Was she supposed to be black? What were they thinking?

7) Redheads who die their hair blonde. What is up with that? Bette Midler, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Kidman have all died their hair blonde. Natural redheads are extremely rare. If you are a redhead you stand out in a crowd. Why mess with that?

8) Young stars who go from normal to emaciated in a heartbeat. You can't tell me that Nicole Ritchie and Lindsay Lohan got that thin just from eating right and exercising.

9) Birth - the movie. This was probably the creepiest, nastiest, most uncomfortable, borderline Mary Kay Letourneau movie I have ever seen. I have no idea what Nicole Kidman or the director was thinking when they made this movie. All I know is that I had to take a bath afterward.

These are just a few of the things that I just don't get. There are more, but I'm running out of time on the computer.

In the meantime, write on!

1 comment:

Karen Scott said...

I was more disturbed by Eva Longoria's..erm.. outfit at the VMA's. Would it be wrong to admit that I looked down to see if her beetle bonnet was showing?

Well, I looked, and yes, I could see the unsightly mound. Not a good look for such an occasion. No doubt she made the headlines though.

I sure hope it was a stunt.