Monday, August 22, 2005

Random Thoughts

Hey! This is just another quickie in between sending out resumes. It sucks when you only get 45 minutes to use the internet. You start to realize just how much you rely on the Internet, and exactly how much time you really spent everyday on the computer doing absolutely nothing, and how much I really miss it.

So, Madonna had a riding accident shortly before her 47th birthday. Ouch! This is why I don't ride anything that is significantly bigger than me, that can kill me if it fell on me. What is ironic is that Madonna, after telling the media that she was having Rocco in an American hospital because British hospitals were so antiquated and Victorian, had to rely on a British hospital after her accident. Hmm! Just makes you think doesn't it?

P. Diddy has changed his name to just Diddy. Apparently the P was coming in between his fans. Yes, he actually said that. Another WTF moment in the world of celebrities.

Anyone surprised that Courtney Love was ordered back into rehab? I watched just a bit of her the Comedy Central roast of Pamela Anderson, and it was clear that Courtney was either drunk or was back on drugs again. I feel sorry for her daughter, who has to watch her mother struggle with this disease.

And RWA has managed to piss people off once again. Doesn't it seem like every week, you see on the message boards or on the blogs that RWA has done something? First is was the graphical standards, then it was the definition of romance, then it was the debacle of the RITA awards in Reno, the non-mention of Vivien Stephens who founded the organization, TTQ ridiculous apology, and now the Medallion Press open letter to TTQ about Medallion being taken off the RWA approved list. Apparently they found out not from RWA, but from the message boards. How awful is that?

I know how hard it is to be a President. I'm only the President of a local chapter and in less than 9 months, we've lost two members because of internal problems. Being President means that you sometimes have to make unpopular decisions, because I don't think I've seen a President in the 8 years I've been a member who has managed to piss off so many people in such a short amount of time. That takes skill.

2 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

EKM:

Your last paragraph confuses me--are you saying you're doing the best job at pissing people off? Because if so, ask yourself how many people just didn't bother because it seemed as if the chapter couldn't care less, either. Or explain it to me, if I am still confused.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

No, I'm saying that yes, I have pissed people off, but Tara Taylor Quinn seems to have made an art form out of it. I pissed off two people and I'm sure you can guess who they might be, not because I was trying to but because it happened in the course of being President. TTQ seems to go out of her way to do it.