Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Costume Mania



Say hello to my new fake boyfriend Maksim, from Dancing with the Stars. Maks is a Latin Ballroom dancer, meaning he specializes in dances like the Mambo, Cha-Cha, and Jive. Yes, swing dancing is considered a Latin dance, go figure. Sort of like Scorpio is a water sign in Astrology but it lives in the desert, where there is no water.

Maks is partnered with Laila Ali this season, and I have to say Lucky her. Yes, he's cocky and thinks to much of himself but the man can dance, and he's straight! A rare combination, believe me. Anyway, Maks is my boyfriend until the end of Dancing with the Stars when he and Laila win, or until they get booted off for being too good.

What does this have to do with costumes? Well, have you seen the outfits the professional women dancers where? I don't think Edyta has covered her midriff in three seasons. Everything is either backless or frontless. Granted if I had abs like there's I would probably walk around like that too!

No, I love to wear costumes. Part of the reason that I became an actress was so that I could wear costumes. Like the lovely kimono I wore my junior year when I was in the chorus of the Mikado. Of course, wearing a corset sucks, but you really get the feel for the pain and suffering that women went through in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Anyway, I have a costume party to go to this weekend at NEC, where we are supposed to come as a literary character, either from our fiction or someone else's. Normally I would be all over this, but since I'm working two jobs, plus taking ballroom dancing and having a social life, I haven't been able to put as much into it as I might otherwise.

So, I'm kind of cheating. Initially I thought I would go as this character Modesty Blaise because I could just wear a black turtleneck and capri pants the way she does in the books and in the comic. Or I could go as the same character I did for Halloween, Femme Fatale, International Woman of Mystery. Or Anne Boleyn since I do have the costume, but it's incredibly heavy and too hot for time of year, particularly if I'm going to be in a room with lots of people.

But I finally decided on Lady Macbeth. So if you're at NEC, I'll be the one running around with bloody daggers, saying things like 'Out, out damn spot.' Since my YA has something to do with the Scottish Play, I thought it was appropriate.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: