Sunday, March 25, 2007

Just Can't Catch a Break!

Hey all,

The weather has been absolutely beautiful this past weekend, and of course I have the worst cramps known to man (sorry is that TMI?). I felt so lousy that I skipped the reception at the NYPL for the Teen Awards, which I was bummed to miss because Diana Peterfreund's book 'Secret Society Girl' was chosen as a notable book for 2006.

I tried to go to the Guggenheim on Friday to see the 'El Greco to Picasso' exhibit but the line for tickets was around the block, so I bought one on-line yesterday and went today. Of course, it was just as crowded but at least I didn't have to wait in line. I could just go up to the membership desk and get my ticket.

The exhibit was interesting but weirdly layed out. Instead of chronologically, it was laid out according to subject, Monks, Women, Children, Portraits etc. I would have preferred to have seen the evolution of Spanish painting but it was interesting to see a Picasso painting next to an El Greco. It was also crowded, but the one good thing about the Guggenheim is there is a bathroom on every level. If you've never been to the museum, it's shaped like a Hostess cupcake. You either take the elevator to the top and wind your way down or you start at the bottom and work your way to the top.

After the museum, I headed over to my favorite Vegetarian restaurant, where the waiter forgot to give me my change. And stupid me, I was too preoccupied to notice. So I'm now out $7.00. And then to top it all off, Tyler Florence went off and got married! The bastard! I kid. Not that I had any chance of meeting this dude, but that's another guy off the market. Sheesh.

And the book I'm reading, while really well written and has a good story, also has a product placement on every page. There were some pages where I counted four or five. It got annyoying after awhile. This is why chick-lit gets a bad name. And it also dates the book. I'm still reading it because I want to see how the author ties it up at the end, but there have been moments when I've wanted to chuck it across the room, particularly when she mentioned Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: