Friday, March 09, 2007

Trying something sort of new

I decided to try something new, well newish for me. It's been a long time since I've written a straight up romance, so to get my feet wet again, I've decided to try and write a novella, specifically for the Bravo New Author contest.

I had an idea in my head which perfectly suited the theme of reunited lovers, and it was something that couldn't really be sustained over the course of a novel, but was perfectly suited to a shorter word count.

Since the average length of a novella is between 100-140 pages, I'm aiming towards the longer length for this. I can always cut it later. I figure 140 = 10 chapters of 14 pages each, which is easy for me to break down in terms of what happens in each chapter to escalate the action.

I actually started writing yesterday and was surprised to find 8 pages on my computer by the end of the day. Of course, they are incredibly rough. I need to go back in the second draft and layer on more emotion and description. Right now, it's just the bare bones.

My hero is Australian just because I'm in an Australian frame of mind right now, and I find Australian men incredibly sexy. Plus they're total Alpha Males and in my story both characters are Alpha, which is my favorite thing to write. I've written Beta females before and a Beta Male, but there's nothing like two Alpha's going at it.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

No comments: