Monday, March 12, 2007

To Sequel or Not To Sequel

Entertainment Weekly, my bible for all things entertainment oriented, had an interesting article on line last week about sequels in books, and whether or not they were really necessary. Let's think about this shall we? There's a whole cottage industry of writers who written sequel after sequel to Jane Austen's novels, not to mention featuring Jane her self as a Regency sleuth. But the most famous sequel of all was Alexandra Ripleys' Scarlett.

The Margaret Mitchell estate personally picked Alexandra Ripley to write the sequel to Gone With The Wind, and I can only think that Margaret Mitchell must have been rolling in her grave when she heard that, especially if she could have read the book. Frankly, I couldn't finish it because I think it was absolutely atrocious, and for some reason I have two copies of it, neither of which I bought I might add. As far as I was concerned there was no reason for this book to exist except to make money for all concerned. The great thing about Gone With The Wind, is imaging what happened next, whether or not Scarlett was going to end up with Rhett and how. No book was ever going to come close to whatever scenario we cooked up in our heads, and that was part of the problem. Sure the book made money but I dont' think anyone will be reading Scarlett a hundred years from how the way they're still reading GWTW.

As for the sequels and continuations to other works of literature I have to ask why? Okay, it's one thing to write a book about the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked), which totally reimagined what we thought about Elphaba or Rebecca, but it's another to keep writing sequels and prequels to books like Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. Maybe it's just me, but who cares? Does anyone want to read what happend to Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye grows up? Or Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter?

I suppose there is a comfort for some readers to revisit their favorite characters, but that's why you re-read the book. To relive that experience when you fell in love with those characters in the first place.

I feel the same way about certain series like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. For me the series ended when Claire and Jamie reunited. That's all I cared about. Their adventures in the Caribbean or doing the American Revolution? Don't care! Their daughter Brianna and her beau going back in time? Don't care either. As long as Claire and Jamie were together and happy, so was I. Of course, other people feel differently which is why she's now on what? Book 6?

Now, I just read that Andrew Lloyd Webber wants to produce and write a sequel to his musical Phantom of the Opera. Did her learn nothing from Annie II or the sequel to Bye Bye Birdie? Hey Grease II was a hoot, but you don't see anyone wanting to put that up on stage. Back away from the piano, Lord Lloyd Webber. Do us all a favor, buy some more paintings or better yet, try composing something completely original!

Thanks for reading!

EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

I read Scarlett, too, but that was before I knew better ;)

I'm with you on Jamie and Claire. I have the latest book weighing down my shelf but can't bring myself to read it!