Thursday, March 03, 2005

Oscars, Writing and Me.

I've been so busy writing over the past few days that I haven't written apart from my rant about the ending of The Bachelorette. Now that the show is several days past, I can say one positive thing, which is thank god that Jen and Jerry didn't continue to play the audience for a fool by pretending to be in love when they clearly (or at least on Jen's part) weren't. We're all still recovering from Bob's dumping Estella after attending Ryan and Trista's wedding, with the old 'it's not you, it's me' routine only to turn up in the tabloids day's later with another woman. So Kudo's to them for putting us out of our misery. I still think she's a fool, who should have never gone on this show in the first place. I still can't imagine what the inducement was, apart from getting to attend The Golden Globes or The Oscars. I guess we'll never know.

Speaking of the Oscars, how nice was it that the show ended in approximately 3 hours give or take a few minutes! The show was a little boring, as there were no surprises or upsets. Part of the problem of all the awards shows, is that the Oscars are almost an anti-climax. Jamie Foxx and Hilary Swank had won several major awards prior to the Oscars, so who didn't know that they were going to win? I still wanted to see Annette Bening win, because I thought her performance in Being Julia was just delicious or Imelda Staunton finally getting a movie role that showcased her instead of always being the comic relief?

I really wanted Virginia Madsen to win Best Supporting Actress. After years of toiling in bad B-movies, to pay her mortgage and provide for her child, she finally had a movie role that proved that she could act.

What was up with Beyonce singing 3 songs on the show? They couldn't get Celine Dion or Faith Hill? I'm appalled that the producers wouldn't let Minnie Driver, an Academy Award nominated actress, sing the song from Phantom of the Opera. It was her voice at the end of the movie while the credits were running. Or sweet Emmy Rossum could have handled the French song, or even Josh Groban. Beyonce looked nervous and out of place. Heck, even Barbra Streisand could have sung one of the songs.

I've included a link to an article that had me steamed over the past few days. Joe Queenan, who I usually like, wrote an article for Men's Health on romance writers. Unfortunately he missed the point of writing romance or of writing chick-lit. He lumps everything that isn't a strict romance under the title chick-lit, which it isn't. I have a feeling Men's Health will be getting several rude letters in the next few days.

As for me, I'm ten pages away from hitting the 300 page mark. I'm hoping to have the book finished in two weeks. Then it's time to write the synopsis and start figuring out what goes and stays in the second draft.

No comments: