Tuesday, March 15, 2005

What I'm reading now

I generally tend to read two or three books at one time. Often, I'm reading a biography, a mystery and a romance simultaneously. That way when I wake up in the morning, I have a book to read according to what mood I'm in. I generally can go through two or three books a week. Since I have no social life at this point, it's easy to get through a lot of books. Books are an absolute pleasure for me, a must have like breathing, water or food. I can't imagine a life without books, and I don't take it for granted that I have such easy access to some of the greatest books ever written.

However, my apartment is filled to the brim with books, and I literally have no room to put new ones, so I rely on the library. The NYPL is one of the best in the world, and I urge you, that if you don't have a library card to get one. It's not the same as owning a book, but you can save yourself a lot of money, which you can put towards rent, or food.

For example, I just went to the library and picked up the following books:

V for Vendetta - a graphic novel by Allan Moore, author of The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. I had just read that they are plans to film it with James Purefoy and Natalie Portman, so I'm curious to see what it's about.

Ransom by Julie Garwood, one of the few Julie Garwood books I haven't read. Since I had to put down her latest Murder List, because I couldn't get through it, I'm a little trepidatious. However, it's set in Scotland, and there's no one like Julie Garwood when it comes to a good emotional read.

Body Language by Millie Criswell. Millie Criswell's contemporaries are hit and miss with me. I loved her historical novels but her contemporaries for Bantom, Annoying Annie, and Miserable Mia,plus the others I couldn't get through. I found most of the characters to be stereotypical and alot of the humor forced. This is her first book for HQN, so we'll see.

I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the Tristan and Isolde Trilogy. I read the first book, The Queen of the Western Isle, which I adored. I devoured this book over the weekend. I've never read Rosalind Miles before, and the Tristan and Isolde story is one that I'm not as familiar with.

She's also written a trilogy about Guenevere, Arthur's Queen, which I may have to read. For me the two best books about Arthur will always be, Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley and the Once and Future King by T.H. White. However, since this trilogy is told mainly through Guenevere's eyes, I may have to give it a chance.

No comments: