Monday, November 28, 2005

Tis the season.....

Is it just me or does it seem like we slam right into Christmas the day after Thanksgiving?

I mean no sooner are we stuffed from Turkey (fish for me), then the whole Christmas rush starts. I received my first Christmas card the day after Thanksgiving. And then when I went to my night job, the whole lobby was already decorated for Christmas, complete with fake tree, and holly, and poinsettia bushes. Not to mention the fact that Starbucks has been selling Christmas CD's and hawking their Christmas blend coffee since the second week of November. And I swear that I saw the Grinch already on television.

I remember the olden days, back in the seventies, when the holidays unfolded naturally. There was no such thing as Thanksgiving cards, and Halloween candy and decorations didn't appear in stores until the end of September not in August the way they appear now.

I don't want to appear like Ms. Scrooge or Scroogette, but I feel like I'm being hammered over the head with the Christmas spirit. Already we're staring with the cute Hallmark holiday specials.

I need sometime to recover from one holiday before I get into the groove for the next. Sort of like editing one book before you start another, although I've been guilty of that.

Anyone else feel as if the holidays are all starting to blend together?

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

The Christmas stuff only came out in Starbucks last week and I jumped on it like white on rice, baby! NOTHING says Christmas like a cool new Starbucks mug, thank you thank you thank you! And I saw some gorgeous ones there that I'm buying for Christmas gifts.

The lights have been up on the streets here for weeks but they haven't been lit, yet. I thought it would be this past weekend, but not yet. I'll take pics when they're on because they're going to look just lovely. Paris is truly magical at Christmas.