Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Whinging Wednesdays


Yes, today is whinging Wednesday, the day I get to complain about whatever.

This week since today is the day before Thanksgiving, where we give thanks for the blessings of our year, I thought it was particularly appropriate.

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I just passed 50,000 words on my YA Novel. Huzzah! I will be drinking a glass of champagne in celebration later. Probably a Kir Royale.


The bad news? Well, I just discovered that HarperCollins Teen is publishing a book similar to my YA idea in paperback in December. Not only that but some British guy also had the same idea two years ago. None of which I knew before I started writing this book. I just thought I was being incredibly clever. Hopefully, my take on it will be so different to the other two books that I'll get bought. Of course, HarperCollins is completely out of the running. If nothing else, since this is my first attempt at writing YA, I'll learned valuable lessons in terms of voice, plotting etc. Not to mention that it's possible for me to write 190 pages in 22 days.

So that's my whining for the day. Clearly there are no new plots, it's what you do with them that makes the difference. And who knows how this book will change when I start to edit.

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Congrats on the YA word count!! Ugh, I wish I was there. =)

Sorry to hear about the plot line for your book, that's happened to me too with the romantic suspense I'm trying to shop. But it hasn't stopped me.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

MJFredrick said...

Urgh on the similar stories. Doesn't that just kill you? Something you have no control over.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!