Friday, June 30, 2006

Keep on Movin On

Well, yesterday, I received a rejection in my inbox from an agency that had the partial of my YA. It was the automated equivalent of a 'dear author' letter, but this agency had managed to make it a bit more personal by inserting my full name, and the name of the past manuscript that I had submitted to the agency. So far, I've had 3 rejections on this book, two from just the query and this first one from a partial.

So what did I do? Well, I had a little cry, a brief little pity party, and then I got right back on the horse and sent out 3 more partials and 1 email query. It wasn't easy believe me. The temptation was great to just give up and crawl under the covers for a few days. But I'm determined and I really believe in this book. Plus, there are still 3 agents out there who have the book. Agent No. 1 aka as dream agent has the full manuscript.

I'm also moving forward on the new YA front. I managed to write 6 pages today, starting the third chapter for a grand total of 8,256 words. Once Monday rolls around, I'll finish the third chapter and then go back and revise before I go further. Things are becoming clearer for me as I write, and I've made the executive decision not to have a bitchy girl character. I already have one character who starts out a villain and then changes.

So there you have it. The one thing I've learned over the past few years of writing is that a certain point, you just have to let go and move on. Otherwise, you'll just keep revising the same manuscript forever and never move forward. Sure, it worked for Margaret Mitchell, but how many of us are writing 1,000 page epics about the Civil War. For that matter, how many publishers out there are looking for 1,000 page epics about the Civil War.

I'm off to watch Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas in Once Upon a Time in Mexico for work. Tough life I have, watching two cuties for 2 hours.

Thanks for reading,
EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

{{{{{ELIZABETH}}}}}

Keep on writing!