Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Man in Green



This lovely man on the left is Robin Hood in the new BBC series that is now being filmed in Budapest instead of in the actual Sherwood Forest in Nottingham. So far he looks rather lovely. We probably won't get to see the series until 2007 and only on BBC America if we're lucky.

It's about time that we had a new Robin Hood. I wasn't that fond of Michael Praed in the last BBC series. There was something a little too soft about him and he was also a little too pretty for the role. Jason Connery wasn't much better.

The less said about Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, Prince of Iowa the better. Yes, we all loved Alan Rickman, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio was beautiful as Maid Marian, but I don't buy that Kevin Costner didn't have time to work on his accent because of Dances with Wolves. And what was up with Christian Slater? I read somewhere that he decided not to do an accent as Will Scarlet because Kevin Costner wasn't doing one. Really? If Kevin Costner had asked him to jump off a bridge, would he have done it?

I didn't watch the Patrick Bergin Robin Hood, because it looked a little dreary and brown. And there was an American TV series that was on briefly but everyone had an American accent which was weird.

I love the character of Robin Hood. Maybe it's the whole outlaw aspect to his character. Even though he's nobility, he's willing to defend the rights of the Saxon's against the cruelty of the Normans. Plus there's the whole archery contest and living in the woods. And rescuing Maid Marian (who of course is more than capable).

Errol Flynn is still my ideal Robin Hood, even though his costume is incredibly silly. He's dressed more like Peter Pan than an outlaw. But he's so roguish and charming, and the fight scene with Basil Rathbone is so incredibly thrilling, that I forgive him the costume.

Sigh! Well, I need to get back to working on my current manuscript, and finding a dress to wear to the RITA's at National.

Thanks for stopping by!

EKM

2 comments:

Josie said...

I haven't seen a really good Robin Hood since the old Errol Flynn movies! Sometimes I try to imagine Clive Owen as Robin Hood (just my little fantasy...)

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

What a good fantasy. I could see Clive Owen in a remake of Robin and Marian with say Annette Bening as Marian or even Mary Elizabeth Mastrononio who played her in Robin Hood, Prince of Iowa.