Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bashing New York Women



I've been in a really unhappy mood over the past few days, partly because of my sunburn that made me look like a rotisserie chicken on Saturday, and partly because I lost my beloved iPod. 330 songs down the tubes until I get a replacement, and I can upload everything that I lost. I hadn't realized how dependent I had become on it, until I lost it.



So I wasn't in the best of moods when I read actor Justin Theroux's comments about New York women in New York magazine. All I could think of was WTF? That would be Mr. Theroux to the left.


Here are his comments:



“New York chicks, girls who are really from here, are the fastest women around,” he says. “They were all at Danceteria and dating 30-year-olds when they were 14.” Can he spot one on sight? “No,” he says, “you can only tell that after talking for about fifteen minutes. By then, they’re usually bored and have seven other places to go. If she ditches you to meet some guy named Marco, she’s from New York.”


Again I say WTF? Where is this coming from and what sort of New York women does he know? I'm getting a little tired of the bad rap New York women get. First there was Toby Young's book How To Lose Friends etc. where he details the several years he spent in New York chasing models and socialites instead of normal New York women who have like jobs. And now this crap?


I'm a native New Yorker and I have never been to Danceteria and I have never dated a 30 year old when I was a teenager. In fact the girls I grew up with? The oldest guy they dated when we were in high school was a 21 year old, and we thought that was racy. Maybe those Brearly girls and Spence girls were like that, but the average New York girl? Not so much.


Seriously, it's New York men that are the problem, not the women. Anyone read the article in the New York Times style section about 40 and 50 year old men chasing 20 year olds in share houses in the Hamptons? Or how they break up with their girlfriends so that they can spend the summer getting laid in their share houses instead of oh, I don't know, spending the summer with their girlfriends?


Truthfully, finding an honest guy who will treat you well is nigh near impossible in this city. That's why I've been corresponding with guys who live in Canada. They're polite and well-mannered arent' they?


EKM


No comments: