Saturday, July 21, 2007

EW does Romance

Imagine my surprise when I got home last night from work and opened my copy of Entertainment Weekly to discover that this week they've reviewed 4 romances in a special box at the top of the page. With all the controversy this past week over romance authors wearing costumes, and whether or not it set the genre back a hundred years, here were romances being reviewed by a magazine that's read by millions of people.

Of course, I was a little disappointed that the books they chose to review were by pretty well-established authors like Joanna Lindsay and Sherrilyn Kenyon (clearly wearing that swan hat in Dallas didn't hurt her a bit), but it was nice to see Meljean Brooks get reviewed. My good buddy Megan Frampton loves her books, and after reading the review I'm tempted to go out and get a copy (or just borrow Megan's hint, hint).

Here's hoping that this will be regular feature in EW (does anyone know if this is the first time they've done this? I confess I can't remember). It can only help the industry, when a magazine that deals with pop culture reviews romances. I know that People has reviewed Sandra Brown and Nora Roberts. Maybe the New York Times won't be far behind? Nah, that's too much to even hope for.

That just goes along with the other good news that Megan, along with several other friends, Lani Diane Rich, Eileen Rendahl and Michelle Cunnah had books that were included in the Complete Idiot's Guide Ultimate Reading list which just came out recently.

Oh, and I got to see Patti Lupone play Mama Rose in Gypsy today which did a great deal to alleviate the pain at knowing that not only do I have to buy a new VCR/DVD player tomorrow, but also a new answering machine, since mine just died on me today.

Well, I'm off to get ready to watch Rachael Ray tonight for work.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

2 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

I have a copy I can loan you, actually.

Unknown said...

We both loved this story!! Thanks for the info about the Idiot's Guide. I love Lani and will check out the rest of the list.