Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Why Spoil the Fun?


So I've been reading articles on the internet lately about certain people who''ve taken it upon themselves to spoil the ending for the final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, some sites apparently have uploaded supposed photocopies from the book including the last page.
My question, why? Why spoil the fun for the millions of fans who have been waiting for this book since the series first began, who have waited patiently (and impatiently) for JK Rowling to finish writing the series.
And why would anyone want to read the book before it's released?
I confess I do have a habit of picking up romance novels and reading a bit of the end before I buy the book, but I have never been tempted to read the ending of my Harry Potter novels nor have I gone to any of the sites that purport to have intimate knowledge of the book.
Why? Because I want my experience of Harry Potter to be untainted. In a world where spoilers abound for everything, this is the one thing that I hold sacred. And I just don't get why people are doing it. Is it jealously of JK Rowling because she's sold millions of copies of her books and will continue to do so as new readers discover Harry Potter? Is it just sheer maliciousness?
All I know is that they're totally breaking the law, at least the people who are publishing excerpts from the book without permission, and I hope that publishing company cracks down on them for it.
The bottom line is that this is someone's lifes work. JK Rowling has sweat blood, and tears to make this series true to her vision, and I think that we owe it to her to come to the experience without judgments or prejudices, to just let her entertain us.
I will be eagerly waiting my copy of the book (I pre-ordered it way back in March) and promise you I will not be peaking at the ending to make sure that Harry lives. Not because I think that JK Rowling would never do that to her fans, she can do what she wants, but because I want that pure element of surprise.
Thanks for reading,
EKM

No comments: