Sunday, September 18, 2005

The 80's Strike Back

Your 80s Heartthrob Is

John Stamos
Wow, Blackie Parrish from GH! If that isn't a blast from the past! Remember when all the guys in the 80's wore like longish mullets? Or seriously big hair? I totally remember when Blackie was on GH. He was a drummer in Blackie and the Blackhearts (go figure). Jack Wagner played Frisco the lead singer. Also, Jimmy McNichol (Kristy's brother) played a songwriting busboy whose songs Blackie stole as his. When he got caught by his girlfriend, he accidentally killed her and was sent to prison, leaving the show and going on to Full House stardom.
God, seeing this picture of John Stamos brings me back memories. I was in high school, and college through most of the eighties, and then my early twenties. So here are few more 80's flashbacks.
The Tab Twins: Okay the Tab Twins were two girls in my high school who used to carry liters of diet soda (most frequently Tab, remember when saccharin was discovered to cause cancer in rats?) in class. God, Tab and Fresca were the diet sodas before Coke came up with Diet Coke. The Tab Twins were the 'bad girls' in school. The ones who were never fully in uniform, had older boyfriends, were smoking, drinking, and having sex before most of us hit high school. Both of them married young, probably because they got all their rebellion out while in their teens while the rest of us didn't find ourselves until our twenties (some of us are still finding ourselves). They were the ones who had kids when we had our ten year high school reunion.
Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans: I loved GV jeans. If you're curvy like I am, Gloria Vanderbilt were a godsend. I had sandwashed, black, and even a pink velvet pair. God, I loved those pink velvet jeans. They were gorgeous. I think velvet jeans should make a comeback.
Music - I love 80's music. Duran Duran, Culture Club, Wham, Pat Benatar, Billy Idol, Spandau Ballet, Billy Squiers, The Go-Go's, Rick Springfield. What's not to love
Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing - the quartet of night-time soaps that haven't been equaled. Rich people acting badly, stabbing each other in the back, sleeping around. There would be no Melrose Place or Desperate Housewives if it weren't for these shows. My favorite was always Knots Landing because it was the most real of the four shows, although Michelle Lee as Karen used to drive me bananas.
What are your 80's memories?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TurboGears, a slap-it-together-web-framework for Python
The title of this blog entry isn't intended to berate TurboGears or make it sound like it's created with or intended for shoddy workmanship.
, Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a bird pet supply site/blog. It pretty much covers bird pet supply related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm older than you, but i was a single girl in the eighties--loved that music! Still listen to 80s music on a local radio station. I looked good in big hair, too!

Becca Furrow

MJFredrick said...

Memories! I loved my GV jeans, too. I remember using an income tax return in high school to buy Guess jeans. I didn't watch GH, but Rick Springfield was on there, too, remember?

I had a blast in the 80s.

Kay Richardson said...

Hey. I do like the eighties. Big hair. I can't get enough of big hair. I don't like music, though. I am British.