Monday, September 12, 2005

Social Butterfly

Well, I had quite the social weekend for a change. I received an invitation to a book party on Friday and I almost didn't go because it was in Brooklyn, which is like going to another state if you live in New York. So instead of getting into my pajamas and watching a movie, I decided to be social and I schlepped on the 2 train to Park Slope and I'm glad I did.

It was a book party for the Latina Karma Sutra written by the sister of one of the members of the New York City chapter of RWA. Dr. Charley Ferrer is the only Latina with a PhD in Human Sexuality and her lecture was fun and informative. She self-published the book because she was told that there was no market for the book but she knew better.

The book is gorgeous with provocative but tasteful pictures. If you easily blush, this book is still for you. Personally, I think you can never have too many sex books! Don't think that just because you aren't Latina, you can't learn anything from this book. It's great for everyone, men, women, etc.

Saturday was our monthly chapter meeting and we had Jill Winters, author of Just Peachy, give a workshop on Killer Queries. It was just what the chapter needed. Queries get your foot in the door. If you can't interest them from your query, they'll never read the book no matter how good it is. That's just the way the market works now. We've also issued the Book in a Month challenge to our members, and we had 7 people who were interested which is great.

I also learned that Marymount Manhattan College is doing a chicklit course for four weeks which I make take as a precursor to starting the challenge.

Afterwards, I had fun shopping for wine with our Golden Apple Awards Chair. We ended up sharing a pitcher of Sangria before I went to work for more training. It's amazing I was able to concentrate.

Sunday was the baby shower, which was lovely. The mama to be had pictures of the future baby framed on all the tables and a fun quiz on how well you knew the happy couple. I thought I should win the award for most creative, since I only knew maybe half the answers. I also met a woman who writes literary fiction. Her book sounded so interesting that I may have to reserve it at the library.

Sunday was also the final night of American Princess. I can't tell you enough how happy I was that Niqui made it to the final two. It was amazing to finally have a black contestant on a reality TV show that wasn't a stark raving bitch! For once, the stark raving bitch was a white chick, Angela S. who tried to hijack the final competition (all the girls came back to determine who would be the final two sort of like Survivor). Most of the girls asked pertinent questions how about the experience and why they should win the competition, but not Angela S. She decided it was time for a little revenge on the women that she felt were determined to get rid of her. Crystal put it correctly when she asked if they were in hell!

I love this show and I'm happy to see that they are doing another series. I'm too old to audition, but I do want to work on it in some capacity even if I have to do it for free, so I'm putting the feelers out and I'm going to try and get a job working on the show. Wish me luck!

No comments: