Friday, September 02, 2005

Another Nail for My Heart

This week has been extremely up and down. I've gone on four job interviews, haven't heard from my friend about my apology and another friend is lost due to Hurricane Katrina. When I say lost, I mean I'm unable to contact her because of the power lines being down. She lives in Mobile, and I know that her cousin lives in New Orleans, so I'm sure that she's worried about him, whether or not he was able to be evacuated. So right now, I'm just playing a waiting game, hoping that she's not clinging to the roof of her house somewhere with her boyfriend, that's she's safe and sound.

We've all seen the pictures on TV of New Orleans underwater, and the devastation in Mississippi. All the TV networks are planning a telethon tonight, and you can make donations to the American Red Cross for the victims. Even George Bush cut his vacation short to head out the affected areas.

Also, this week I received a 'Dear Author' letter from an agent. Only this one was a little different. This letter actually apologized for the fact that it was a dear author letter, which didn't help. It's not that hard to do a merge document so that authors would at least get a letter with their name included. When I worked at American Express for their foundation we received upwards of 100 grant applications a week, and we always sent out letters that were generic refusals but at least we personalized them with their name.

I could have a second career training agency assistants or interns how to use Word for merge documents.

On a lighter note, I've been offered a job writing. Yes, writing. Granted it's writing questions for a market research group, but nevertheless a writing job it is. The only problem is that it's nights and weekends, which means that I would also need a part-time job at least two or three days a week during the day, to make enough money to live. So that's my plan right now, finding an arts organization or museum that needs part-time help.

Have a great labor day weekend! I plan on actually working on my revisions (Surprise, Surprise) and catching up on all the blockbusters that I'm too cheap to pay money to see.

5 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

EKM:

Congratulations on the writing job! I hope you find something else quickly--how about retail? I bet you could sell loads of shoes (Not to me, I wear the same darn pair everyday, but most people are not me).

Gabrielle said...

That's great news about the writing job! I hope somehting else falls into your lap shortly--including an agent and a contract. Sending out good vibes to the universe for you.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Great on the job, Elizabeth!! Things will start to smooth out, and I hope you hear from your friends soon.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Thanks, guys, I can't believe that I got the job. The test was really hard. I don't know how writers who work on game shows do it, coming up with all those questions.

Marley Gibson said...

Have you heard from your friends yet? Thoughts and prayers go out to them.