Tuesday, September 27, 2005

What's next?

A miracle has occurred! I am almost completely set up at work, the only thing missing is the phone, and I can do without that for the time being. However, I do have my computer set-up, complete Internet access, Lotus Notes, and access to a printer.

I can now print out my first 3 chapters to send to the agent that requested it, and start working on the revisions for the other agent who requested the full manuscript. I also have 2 other agents I want to hit. I'm also thinking of sending my baby off to be professionally edited, which is a huge thing for me, not to mention the cost. At the moment, since I still have to pay off my lawyer, I plan or relying on the lovely friends in my chapter who volunteered to read the darn thing. I might even bring pages into my critique session on Saturday.

In the meantime, I need to figure out what I want to write next. Do I write my next chick-lit or another paranormal chick-lit romantic comedy? Or start working on the novellas that I just plotted set in Scotland? The whole novella thing freaks me out though, trying to tell a whole story and make the love story believable in a grand total of like 125 pages.

I just read 3 novellas over the weekend, and they all had the same basic plot, uptight American loosened up by sexy, Alpha Aussie. After awhile, I wanted something a little more meaty. I had a hard time getting into the stories. I wonder if it was just this writer because I've read novellas in the Secrets anthologies that were emotionally satisfying, and shorter than the novellas in this book.

I know I have a good hook for the anthology, I just need to make sure that I'm not writing the same hero and heroine all the time. I know some authors who do very well with this premise. They just change the names, and hair color but deep down they're the same characters.

I really want my next book to be better than the one before, but I'm having a crisis of confidence with my chick-lit. I wonder if I have the skills to pull it off without getting heavy and preachy, which is why I'm punching up the grandmother's in the book.

Sigh! I get to stay home tonight and actually watch TV for fun instead of for work!

No comments: