Sunday, October 02, 2005

Book Rec


Have you ever read a book that was so wonderful that you hated to put it down? A writer who's work was so good that it inspires you to do better with your own work?

Well, I read a book like that this weekend. The book was Balancing in High Heels by Eileen Rendahl.

I picked up a copy of Eileen's first book, Do Me, Do My Roots (Downtown Press) at last year's conference in Dallas. I'd heard good things about it and I remembered that Eileen had mentioned the book when I met her at the New York RWA conference. So I was eager to read the book.

Well it was just as fabulous as the reviews said, and I had found another author whose work I couldn't wait to read. I recommended the book to everyone that I know, it was that good.

Do Me, Do My Roots was nominated for a RITA for best first novel and best novel with romantic elements. It lost but I'm sure that it won't be the first time that Eileen is a RITA nominee.

Of course, we've all heard of writers who's first book was fabulous, and then the second fell short of the mark, but I can tell you that Balancing in High Heels does not disappoint.


'Alissa Lindley didn't mean to take it out on the fax machine. But when your not-yet-ex-husband knocks up his girlfriend and your divorce is going worse than the next World War -- well, something's got to give. Unfortunately, Alissa's employers at the L.A. Public Defender's office take a dim view of the destruction of office equipment. Funny how that anti-workplace violence policy used to seem like a good idea, before she got fired. And the networking thing just isn't happening at her Anger Management class.'

'San Jose is the place for a fresh start -- it's home, and family and friends are eagerly waiting to welcome her. But her first job as a lawyer there has Alissa walking a high wire of complicated emotions. Her client is from the Butterfly Brigade, a group of justice-seeking (and interestingly tattooed) ladies who right wrongs as they see fit even if that means bending the law. The arresting officer, Detective Rodriguez, is so hot he should be illegal. But can Alissa trust her instincts again when it comes to love? Or will one wrong step send her new life crashing down?'


Just from the description you can get an idea of how original and just how fresh Eileen's second novel is. This isn't your usual shopping and drinking chick-lit. There are some serious issues that are dealt with in a fun and light hearted way.


Did I mention that the book is seriously funny? Not in a slap-sticky kind of way, but funny that comes from life.


I was so sad when the book ended and I can't wait until next year when Eileen's 3rd book comes out. In the meantime, to console myself, I'm going to get a copy of In One Year and Out the Other, which includes a novella that Eileen wrote. That will have to tide me over until next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are definitely some books that I was sorry to see end because they were so good. Needless to say they have been read more than once :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Wow, thanks for the recommendation, Elizabeth! =D