Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I love the 80's really...

The 80's are back with a vengeance. Just look at this press release:

NOAH’S BACK! RICK SPRINGFIELD RETURNS AS DR. NOAH DRAKE ON ABC DAYTIME’S “GENERAL HOSPITAL”Award winning musician and actor Rick Springfield returns as “General Hospital’s” Dr. Noah Drake, the role he originated nearly 25 years ago, it was announced by ABC Daytime. His first airdate will be December 2.

Wow, Rick Springfield returning to GH! I was a huge fan of GH during the 80's (still am kinda but that's a completely different blog), now he's returning to the show. I'd like to think he's going to get a chance to mix it up with Bobbie Spencer again (they were involved in a torrid love triangle wtih Tiffany Hill. Bobbie even faked blindness to keep Noah).

I was never a huge fan of Rick Springfield, although I liked his music. Who doesnt' love 'Jessie's Girl'? Still, I was much more of a Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Culture Club, Depeche Mode fan back in the early 80's. But it's great that ABC and GH are mining the show's history for a change, instead of systematically destroying.

John Stamos has a new sitcom, Madonna has a new album, Rick Astley was on MTV's Pimp My Ride (has not aged well but I still love 'Never Gonna Give You Up'), Lorenzo Lamas is on The Bold and The Beautiful, and now I Love the 80's 3D is back on VH-1. Donald Trump and The Apprentice. Anyone remember him and Ivana (pre plastic surgery)? It's hard to believe that he still has the same hair. That's even scarier than the 8 years we had to suffer through Reagan and Bush.

Lisa Kleypas has a great article on what she was doing in the 80's over at Squawk Radio. It's hard to believe we're all waxing so nostalgic about a decade that's only twenty years in the past.

I graduated from high school and college in the 80's. Yes, that makes me really old. Most of that time was spent in London where I learned all about Page 3 girls, Bronski Beat and English bacon. I got up early to watch TV with the English family I lived with to watch Charles and Diana get married.

I first learned what to do with my curly hair in the 80's, although I still wore huge rollers to make it big and poofy. I didn't wear leg warmers unless it was to dance class but I did wear leggings and big sweaters that made me look like the Tasmanian devil. Shoulder pads? Check! The bigger the better. Linebackers in the NFL had nothing on me and my friends. Let's face it, the 80's had to have been the ugliest fashion decade on record. Just take a look at a Christian LaCroix bubble dress and you'll know why.

Remember when cassettes finally replaced 8-Track tapes, and then CD's starting coming out? Laser discs (bigger versions of DVD's) and the very first VCR's which were huge! We didn't get ours until 1985, but it was like someone had invented fire for the first time, we were so amazed. Not to mention getting our first microwave.

I've been thinking about the 80's because I'd thought to set my YA in that decade, before it completely morphed into a different novel, but I do plan to visit the 80's at some point, even if it's a Time Travel.

Relive my Electric Youth!

Anyone have any really good memories (or bad) about the 80's?

4 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I just LOVE 80s music! LOL! Everytime I'm messing with the car radio, I'll catch a song and totally sing along. *sigh* It's an addiction. ;D

Joe said...

I am a total creature of the 80's. I listen to ITunes at work which has a lot of good 80's stations (I actually own Rick Springfield's greatest hits lol!) My last three ITunes downloads were:

Go Insane: Lindsey Buckingham
One Night in Bangkok: Murray Head
The War Song: Culture Club (By the way Ricky Gervais has a hiliarious bit in his comedy dvd "Politics" about this song).

they were good days...

Gabrielle said...

Wow!!!! Rick's going back to GH? Now there's one guy who has aged really REALLY well--go to his site and check out his concert shots, lovin' those tats!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Yeah, it's only for a few shows, but how knows? Maybe they'll keep him around longer. You're right, he still looks hot. For those who are interested, his web-site is www.rickspringfield.com!

Charlie, I also dug One Night in Bangkok. The singer is actually Murray Head, older brother of Anthony Stewart Head of Buffy fame.