Friday, October 14, 2005

New James Bond Cast!


Okay, this post has nothing to do with writing, except in a roundabout way. I mean James Bond was first created by Ian Fleming (author also of the children's classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which always sounded dirty to me) in a series of novels in the fifties and early 60's.

If Clive Owen wasn't interested in playing James Bond, then I'm glad that they cast Daniel Craig. He's got that same Alpha male thing going on that Clive Owen does, you know where you don't know whether he's going to kiss you or hit you. Which shouldn't be attractive but is.

I never really watched the early Bond films with Sean Connery or Roger Moore. I only really started to get into the series when Timothy Dalton was cast. Frankly, I think he gets a bum rap for the two Bond films that he did. It was the scripts that tried to turn Bond into a new age Bond, not him.

Daniel Craig should bring back the edge and intensity to the series that Sean Connery had in the very first movie. If you've never seen any of his work, I would suggest you rent Enduring Love, Layer Cake, Mother, or Sylvia where he plays Ted Hughes opposite Gwyneth Paltrow. Any of those films should convince naysayers that he has the chops to play Bond.

I was a little confused however by newspaper reports that Daniel Craig is only the second Englishman to play James Bond. Excuse me, but what was Timothy Dalton? Even though he was born in Wales, he didn't grow up there, and his family is English.

Oy, the media! I'm just happy they finally cast the role, although it was crappy the way they told Pierce Brosnan they replacing him. By telephone no less while he was filming another movie.

You can't really expect respect in Hollywood.

No comments: