Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Getting Perspective

Vanessa Virtue had a really great blog today about getting a little perspective. You all can read it here.

Not only has there been an earthquake in Northern India (39 aftershocks were reported after the initial quake) killing 50,000 people, but there's another tropical storm in the Carribean, Wilma, not to mention bird flu which could kill up to 20 Million people or more. There's potential here to lose more lives than in the 1918 influenza epidemic. Scientists recently discovered that the influenza epidemic back then was also caused by bird flu.

Of course, the United States, the wealthiest nation in the world, we don't have enough vaccine to take care of everyone who needs it.

But what do I see on television? People wondering whether or not Nick and Jessica are splitting up, whether Ashton and Demi are really married, and if TomKat's baby is the result of a turkey baster.

What's going on? When did we stop caring? Last month we were all about Hurricane Katrina. Are we just overloaded with causes, that we just can't deal? I mean this month is Breast Cancer month, everything's pink, but does anyone care?

Then this morning, I read that Madonna of the cone-shaped bra, standing on the side of the highway naked Madonna, is chastizing the world for it's wickedness. Can you say hypocrite much? Apparently studying Kabbalah the past few years, has purified her of all the dumb ass things that she did.

I admit I'm just as guilty of spending too much time thinking about celebrities. My apartment is littered with old copies of US Magazine, In Style, People, Celebrity Living, In Touch etc. So I plan on donating the money that I would have spent on crappy celebrity magazines to the Red Cross instead..

In the meantime, anyone interested in donating to the Earthquake relief fund can do so here.

Tomorrow, we'll be back to our regularly scheduled blog.

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

You know, the same thing happened after 9/11. Right after it happened, everyone was so kind to each other. I really thought we were in for a turnaround.

By Christmas, everyone was back to their selfish selves.

I'm guilty, too. It's easier to just switch the channel, and it's hard to put myself in the place of people who don't have that option.

Shame on me.