Friday, October 21, 2005

Rachael Ray: Spawn of Satan?

Has anyone noticed that Rachael Ray is everywhere lately? She's got 4 shows on the Food Network, something like 11 cookbooks, a new magazine, cookware, and now comes the news that Oprah is going to be producing a daily show with Rachael Ray starting Fall 2006. She's being touted as the new "Martha" since the bloom is off the rose of the old Martha since that whole prison thing. So now of course comes the backlash.

There are actual websites devoted to hating her. Wow, you know you've made an impact on people when they create "I hate _" websites. Here's one that gets mentioned all the time here.

Let me just say up front, I'm not a big Rachael Ray fan. I find her annoying and grating, and I hate the cute little phrases that she comes up with like "EVOO" for Extra Virgin Olive Oil and "Yum-O." She's just a little too perky for my tastes, but considering how much coffee she apparently drinks, it now makes more sense. Yet despite her obvious flaws, I don't think she's as bad as people make her out to be. She's certainly not the spawn of Satan that people would like to believe.

Someone actually complained about her show "40 Days a day" that she spends too much money on food. Hello, it's a travel show, and most of the places that she takes you to are fairly reasonable. What do viewers expect? That she hit every Denny's and McDonald's around the world. $40 a day is pretty reasonable when you're traveling, particularly in Europe, where you have to take into account the currency rate. Could you travel and eat 3 meals a day on less?

Yeah, you probably could but it would be extremely difficult. Particularly if you're traveling to a big city. But yet this woman complained that Rachael Ray should spend less and donate the money to charity!

I have one thing to say to these people. If you don't like Rachel Ray, don't watch her TV show, don't buy her books. End of story!

People complain that she's not a trained cook. Well, guess what, neither is Martha Stewart. Yes, Martha was a stock broker before she quit her job and became a caterer in CT. Actually, that's probably what sets her apart from all the chefs on the Food Network. People look at her and think that "if she can cook a meal in 30 minutes, so can I." Whereas if Mario Batali or Emeril were to do a show on 30 minute meals, I would just sit there in awe, but I would never try the recipes for myself.

Critics also complain that she's messy in the kitchen. Actually, I find that endearing. Hey, so are most people when they cook. I know that I personally have crap all over the place when I cook. If you're trying to cook a meal in 30 minutes, you don't have time to clean up as you're cooking.

She's overly enthusiastic for people who prefer the dry, sterile way that Martha cooks. She has much in common with my personal favorite, Nigella Lawson, another food tv star who has no formal training other than just learning by doing.

My biggest complaint with Rachael Ray is that she's missing a segment of her audience. There are tons of single people out who don't cook, who would rather order in, since most recipes are for 4 or more people. And halving recipes isn't always that easy. I'd like to see Rachel Ray do 30 minute meals for singles.

I have to admire Rachael Ray. She came out of nowhere (upstate New York), with no real skills other than a love of food and cooking, and has managed to create an empire. She's no dummy, opportunities presented themselves to her, and she seized them. Isn't that the American way?

What do you think? Rachel Ray, just an annoying TV personality or Spawn of Satan?

1 comment:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I liked her when she was new, but once I saw her doing the celebrity shows, I thought she over did the smoozing. ;)

No way do I think she's the Spawn of Satan. LOL! I always admire individuals who work from normal lives and turn themselves into successes.