Friday, September 22, 2006

Grey Matters


How excited was I that last night was the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy? Try ecstatic. It's the one show that I'm being look forward to all summer long.

I have a confession to make. I didn't jump on the Grey's Anatomy bandwagon right away. No, it took the episode with the train wreck to get me on board. But once I did, boy, I didn't miss an episode. I even bought the season one DVD to catch up, and then when season 2 came out, first one on line at Barnes and Noble to buy the darn thing.

I was devastated when Denny died, but I understood why Shonda did it, besides the fact that the yummy Jeffrey Dean Morgan gets his own Shonda Rimes created show. How awesome is that? Last night totally lived up to my expectations.

Loved, loved the flashback sequence to the cocktail party before the interns started. You got to see Izzy, all bright-eyed and optimistic, and then contrast it with her prostrate on the bathroom floor (but how big did that bathroom suddenly get? it looked alot smaller in previous episodes). I had to laugh at everyone called Meredith dark and twisted, when previously she was just scary and damaged.

Bailey saying good-bye to Denny after she identified the body just broke my heart, and then it broke again when she was talking to Omar who was in quarantine and she had to tell him that his wife died. And can I just say that I love Callie? and how much she loves the George?

But the best by far were the two scenes with Derek, the one where we got to see the night they met, and then the night that Derek caught Addison with McSteamy. My heart is breaking for Addison. She really loves Derek, but she knows that she's been fighting an uphill battle against Meredith.

Shonda Rimes deserves credit for making Addison sympathetic, instead of the evil bitch wife, who ruined Derek and Meredith's love story. It makes sense though, if she were a flat out bitch, we'd wonder why Derek married her in the first place. Very clever that Shonda.

All the layers that she reveals about the characters is what draws you in, besides what it's like to be an intern. Cristina crying in Burke's arms, and asking him not to die, telling Meredith and Izzy about sitting shiva.

I could literally talk about this show all day, but I won't bore you guys!

Thanks for reading!

EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

Hey, Elizabeth, did you know BenBella books is doing a book on Grey's and is looking for essayists? I think the website is benbellabooks.com or something like that.

I would have liked more Preston and Cristina, and more of Alex comforting Izzy, but otherwise, I agree with everything you said. And I FINALLY like Callie!

My first episode was the "feed the beast" episode, and I bought the first season on DVD the very next day.