Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wanted One Soulmate

I was reading this blog on the UK Glamour Magazine site, where she was detailing what she was looking for in a man. Reading it inspired me to come up with my own list, so here goes:

I want a man who respects me for for wanting to wait to sleep with him the first time. I need more than three dates, okay?

I want a man who pats me on the head because he thinks I'm adorable, not just because I'm giving him a blow job.

I want a man who is cleverer than me but doesn't realise it, because he's not so competitive and insecure for that kind of thing to cross his mind.

I want a man who thinks that women can be funny.

I want a man who understands that I have good reason to be angry, and that reason isn't 'I'm on the rag'.

I want a man who doesn't think that my asking him to do basic, decent things, such as putting down the toilet seat, is nagging.

I want a man who forgoes St Valentine's Day and goes out of his way on Tuesdays, because nothing ever happens on a Tuesday.

A man who understands that, unless I give permission, there's only one entrance. And it's a bit further forward, thank you very much.

A man who understands that saying "a morning fuck is better than an alarm clock" isn't particularly sexy or clever.

A man who isn't repulsed by periods and childbirth.

A man who can accept the bad things I've done in the past (and realise they're not all that bad really and that anyone would have done the same if they'd drunk as much).

A man who realizes that sometimes once a night, is not enough. And is willing to sleep in the wet spot.

A man who is willing to wear a condom, instead of giving some sob story about it not "enhancing his experience."

A man who realizes that just because I wear a skirt, and sexy high heels doesn't mean I'm stupid or easy.

A man who realises that, once the situation is established, saying "I love you" is no bad thing.

A man who pulls the chair out, but only after I've got up. Who holds the door because it's chivalrous, not just so he can get a better look at my ass.

A man who knows the difference between my nipple and the AM/FM dial on the radio.

A man who will understand if I don't want dinner because I feel like a fat cow, and is happy to let pick off his plate without getting upset.

I want a man who will give me space and let me do my own thing, but be there at my beck and call if my own thing includes him.

I want a man who understands that while lingerie is nice (as long as it's Victoria's Secret or La Perla and not some cheap shit from Frederick's) jewelry is better.

I want a man who understands that sometimes a hug is just a hug and not a prelude to sex.

I want a man who isn't afraid to do things the old fashioned way: to telephone (not text), invite me to dinner and, no less, actually suggest a restaurant because he is a decisive person.

Who wants to know all about my family and my job, not just my bra size. And who listens because he's interested, not just to get me into bed.

I want a man who buys me flowers just because he knows that lilacs are my favorite, not because we've had a fight or it's a special occasion.

Someone who occasionally patronises me, but in an affectionate way, and sometimes makes me feel like a little girl who needs looking after.

I want a man who I am attracted to for longer than it takes the alcohol to leave my blood system.

I want a man who adores every inch of me, good and bad, flabby and firm, thin and thick, happy and sad, clever and stupid, cranky and crampy, consistent and then not so, confused yet certain.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: