Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Plight of the Independent Woman

I just read an article on the actress Ellen Barkin, who just recently was divorced abruptly by her billionaire husband Ron Perelman because she dared to take a small part in a film and left him for a few days. Yeah, Ron couldn't be alone while she went off to make a movie. Don't ask me why, he's a grown man, I'm sure he travels on business alot but for some reason that was okay.

I guess he needed her for trophy wife duties. She made a comment that was telling, that what attracted Ron Perelman to her was the fact that she was a glamorous movie star, and then what ended the relationship was that she was a glamorous movie star. As long as she looked the part on his arm, that was okay, but god forbid she should actually ply her craft.

Jane Fonda made a similar comment when she was married to Ted Turner. She said that one of the reasons why she retired and moved to Atlanta was Ted couldn't be left alone for like more than a day. Otherwise, I dont' know, he'd cheat on her or stop taking his lithium, who knows.

I know I've had the same problem, as my friends have pointed out to me, no doubt trying to be helpful, but of course it comes across as 'no man will ever want to marry you, until you learn to be more needy' which can turn around and bite you in the butt as well. I know that ex-sweetie pie always said he liked the fact that I was idependent and had friends and interests, but it was tough when I was acting in show after show and he wasn't. At one point, during our relationship, I did like four shows in a row. I was also taking continuing education classes, and working full-time, as well as writing.

Now of course, I have like ten jobs. I know that fun guy was kind of intimidated at the fact that I was working alot while he was still unemployed. Of course, the fact that I was fun and independent was why he liked me in the first place, until he realized that by my working alot that meant less time for us to have sex.

So what do I do? I don't feel intimidating. As far as I'm concerned, I'm a pussycat, who's just looking for a friend. I'm not looking for a man to take care of monetarily, I can do that myself, but I am looking for a man to love me.

I love that Destiny's Child song, "Independent Woman, Part II," from the Charlie's Angel movie (the first one). It's such a female empowerment song. It's my anthem, but apparently maybe I should pick another one, some fluffy song like anything Jessica Simpson sings. Hey, even Nick Lachey got tired of her whining, needy ass.

I'm so confused.

There has got to be a man out there secure enough in his masculinity to want to take me on. I can't be that much woman, come on.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: