Monday, September 18, 2006

Stalking Meg Cabot

So I stalked, I mean went to see Meg Cabot speak at the 92nd St. Y here in New York over the weekend, which made up for the disappointment of not attaining Tim Gunn's signature on Saturday. Yes, Tim was signing bobble head dolls and T-shirts at Emmett McCarthy's (Season 2) store down in Nolita. I got there late and by the time I managed to get into the store, Tim had to leave to continue filming the season finale of the show. I did however get to see Nick Verraros, Kayne, and Allison, along with Malan who looked exactly like he did on the show.

I lost my ticket to the Meg Cabot event but luckily they issued me a new one to replace it and I was able to see her. Of course once again I was late, this time because the crosstown bus at 96th Street took forever. Seriously it took me about 40 minutes to go across town. Traffic was murderous. I finally got there at 7:20 and by the time I made it through the ticket line and got upstairs it was 7:30.

So I missed her stories about her dad Vic Cabot, which I'm sure would have been great. I did however get to hear her talk about how the little old ladies in her old neighborhood put out their own newspaper and featured her dad on the front page.

Of course Meg looked fabulous. She's certainly spending on that Disney loot on clothes. Last night, she wore a black D&G dress, and a fantabulous pair of black suede platform sandals from Betsey Johnson, which I told her I coveted. I didn't mention that I had met her in Atlanta or that she had talked to RWA NYC after we gave her our second ever Author of the Year award. The line of teenage and tweener girls was a mile long, and I'm sure the poor thing was probably tired.

Her agent was with her, which I thought was fabulous. The one thing that struck me in her talk, some of which I'd already heard in Atlanta, was the fact that she sent out a query a day for like a year. She went through the Jeff Herman guide and just went down the list of agents that she thought might be interested in her work. By the time she was done, she had a mail bag full of rejections. Ouch! It sort of puts all my rejections into perspective. I haven't collected a mail bag full although sometimes it feels like I have.

I'm off to finish Chapter 2 before I submit it for class. Lots of tweaking on this chapter.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: