Sunday, May 27, 2007

For Your Consideration

Dear Mr. Guest,

I've enjoyed your work over the years from The Princess Bride, Saturday Night Live, and of course, Spinal Tap. In particular, the movies that you've directed from Waiting for Guffman to a Mighty Wind have been some of my favorites. I think that you are a comic genius.

I just watched your last movie, For Your Consideration last night. And I have to say that I was very disappointed. After a rousing start, the movie kind of petered out. And we never found out what happened to the one cast member of 'Home for Thanksgiving' who was actually nominated for the Academy Award. Plus, once the movie was renamed from 'Home for Purim' all the comedy kind of died. Not even the scenes of the actors promoting the film on talk shows as weird as the TLC spoof, or seeing Catherine O'Hara tarted up like a parade float were that interesting.

So here is my suggestion for your next film. The publishing industry, or more specific romance writers. Yes, this is just ripe for your brand of satire, particularly RT's annual convention. You could call it the WWR conference aka We Write Romance or Women Write Romance as the case may be.

Just think of what you could with the grand doyenne of romance, Kathryn Falk or the late, lamented Barbara Cartland. After all Kathryn Falk was once named one of the most interesting people in Time Magazine's 75 year history. I think that your usual repetoire of actors could come up with some fascinating characters.

Just think about it. And if you do decide this will be your next picture, you don't have to pay me, just invite me to the premiere, and thank me on all the talk shows, and a tour of the House of Lords would be nice.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth K. Mahon

No comments: