Friday, May 25, 2007

Idol Thoughts

I'm having query fever right now. I've sent off four queries just this morning, plus a partial request after an agent responded to my email query. I'm not sure why I'm suddenly so much more motivated. Maybe the fact that I finished the revisions on the YA, and now I'm excited to get it out to people.

Not so excited about the American Idol finale. In fact, for the first time in six years, I didn't even watch it. Partly because I was so pissed that they voted Melinda off, and partly because I knew out of the two, Blake and Jordin, Jordin was going to win.

Still that doesn't quite explain my apathy. After all, I still watched even though Chris Daughtry (my favorite) didn't win, and I knew pretty much that Taylor was going to win.

Maybe it's just that last season's contestants were so good. Let's face, almost every single one has landed a record contract and Chris Daughtry has outsold Taylor. Even little Kellie Pickler is becoming quite the Country star, and she has new breasts.

I'm sorry apart from Jordin, Blake, Lakisha and Melinda, most of the other contestants were either boring, out of their depth, or just not interesting. Seriously Sanjaya was the best that Simon, Paula and Randy could find out of the group that auditioned in Hollywood for the semi-finals, and Hayley?

I was just emailing the other day with another Idol fan, and we basically came to the conclusion that the Idol format seems to favor women over men. Out of six winners, four are women. I think maybe it's because the favored format for the show is pop music and most men tend to fall in either the rock, country or soul categories. The only real male pop singer the show has produced is Clay Aiken.

Even the crappy songs that they give the winners to sing favor female voices. Anyone remember how painful it was to listen to Justin and Bo Bice sing the AI coronation song? I can just imagine what Beat Box Boy (Blake) thought when they handed 'This is my now' to him. Plus, I read that he wasn't even allowed to rearrange it for his voice because it was the contest winner.

Think back to last season, when Taylor basically told the producers where they could put the song they originally gave him, and then he was allowed to Taylorize the one he eventually sang. Even Ruben and Clay were given different songs to sing.

Personally, I think that's the right choice. Let whoever is in the final two pick the song they want to sing, out of a bunch that has been written. Or if you're going to have a contest, let the two finalists sing the top two songs out of the bunch, and let the audience vote for which one should be the winning song.

Anyway, I still think the show favors the women.

No comments: